Saw Blade Making & Sharpening in Knoxville, TN

Hello all from a lurker and occasional poster. This is a little long, but worth the read I think.

You may remember me from the Grizzly G0444Z questions several months ago, maybe not. Want to share some info for a place that makes and sharpens just about anything that we could use for wood, plastic, and metal work.

Just got what I consider to be my first real saw blade. From a shop in Knoxville, TN called Precision Industrial Supply Co, phone number is (865) 686-0306. Ask for Tom if you call, he is the owner. I have no affiliation other than having bought one of his blades.

I got a full kerf, 50 tooth, alternate top bevel with a raker. It is honestly the best blade I have ever used. I had narrowed it down to either a WWII or one from Tom. It cost $135 to the best of my memory, just slightly more than the WWII from an internet store or from Forrest directly. His shop uses virgin tool steel for the blade body, virgin carbide tips, sharpens it to a 400 grit finish, and does amazing balancing and flatening work by hand. It is amazing the difference in how the saw runs with the new blade on, so much less vibration. Makes the smoothest cut on rips, cross cuts and mitres (miters for some of us).

I can get the blade resharpened for $10, and no that is not a typo.

The best part is his serivce, I live across town and he has made two trips to my place of work to drop off the new blade and then today to drop off my old blade which he resharpened. I feel a lot more confident knowing his level of service than ordering a blade from the internet somewhere and mailing it off to be resharpened. My old blade was resharpened and works better than when it was new for $20.

They can make other patterns and tooth combos, it is truely a custom saw blade of your design (I am sure there is a limit, but it is nice to have options). They do all the brazing of the teeth, so if I break one on something I can get it fixed, seems like a REALLY good full service sharpening and custom saw blade store to me.

They can sharpen jointer/planer knives, router bits, saw blades..... He is confident enough in his shop that if you are not satisfied with the results of the sharpening service, they will sell you a new blade/bit/whatever at the cost of having one re-tipped, which is a good bit less than the actual cost of a new one.

Feel free to email me if you want more info, or give him a call. I imagine that for you folks out of town, he would probably mail it to you. He is a really nice guy with a great product. Just wanting to send some business his way I can, being a local shop and all.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Phisherman

That is a pretty good price compared to what I was finding a few months ago. It was a higher price, but I don't mind to pay for a quality service from a local shop, at least when the funds allow. His resharpening is great, if you want to use him. The pricing depends on how many steps based on your blade design.

Forgot to mention it earlier, they can make a blade from 7 inch or so up to 36 inch diameter, just incase anyone has a saw that big. I don't.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff