blade sharpening

is there a cheap mower blade sharpener that works well, angle and actually sharpening. I tried one of those drill mount things from lowes once...SUCKS

Reply to
bigjcw1023

Yes, it is called a file. Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

Jim

year old grinder!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Look at a brand new blade in a store. It is NOT very sharp. So don't try to make your blade useable for surgery.

Reply to
Stubby

What's wrong with a bench grinder? Angle is is not really critical, just try to match the angle of the air lifts. Balance _is_ critical. Vibration can destroy your mower.

Reply to
Art

I just clamp my blades into a bench clamp (one at a time) and grind away with a big stone on my Dremel. It does not have to be pretty, just balanced. Easy as cake. I do not get vibration and things get cut fine. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I use a hand held Dewalt grinder. I just turn a 5 gallon pail upside down, put the blade on top, use my foot to hold it and then grind away. If you want to be extra safe, you can fasten it in a vice

Reply to
trader4

I use a hand held Dewalt grinder. I just turn a 5 gallon pail upside down, put the blade on top, use my foot to hold it and then grind away. If you want to be extra safe, you can fasten it in a vice

Your use of just the brand name doesn't tell me what you are using but it is probably the same thing I use - a 4" disc hand-held angle grinder.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Yep, bingo, that's it.

Reply to
trader4

... Srgnt Billko" :

Yep, bingo, that's it. ___________________________________________

I have never had one of these, sounds handy. Are they easy to use once one gets the hang of it? How much do they cost about? Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Yes, very easy to use. I can sharpen two blades in 5 mins. I don't remember how much I paid for mine. They have them at HD, Lowes, etc. My guess is about $50

Reply to
trader4

... "Tomes":

Yes, very easy to use. I can sharpen two blades in 5 mins. I don't remember how much I paid for mine. They have them at HD, Lowes, etc. My guess is about $50 _____________________________________________

Looks like a birthday present. Thanks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I have a large 8" stone on a motor with an angled guide gig I made that works great. It's just an old 1800 rpm motor I found in a surplus store for 8 bucks. Bought a half inch arbor for it, mounted the stone and mounted the motor on a board. Put a cord and start switch and that was it. Also bought the stone at the surplus store for 4 bucks.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?