sanding belts seperating

Does anyone have any suggestions on repairing sanding belts that keep separating at the splice?

No suggestion on a repair but a couple of questions that may help prevent the break.
Are you running them in the correct direction?
Are they less than 1 year old? Old and unused belts can fail quickly.
Hey Leon, Others, I'm new to using belt sanders and I have several old, but never used belts (for a 6 x 48 machine ). Do you think I will have seam separations in these older pieces earlier than a brand new belt? I'm using the machine infrequently now but in a few weeks I'll be ready to do a lot of production sanding. I'm just curious about what might happen, not that anything has happened yet. Marc
Damn, I forgot to change my name back to its proper form from my April Fools post pseudonym. Marc (who hopes he did it correctly this time)

Asian News Service wrote:

If they're significantly over a year or so old, yes, I would expect early failures. How soon will depend on a myriad of factors, not all deterministic.
As for what will happen, in almost all cases the glue joint separates and the belt just runs off the end. Wakes one up, may make a mess if it happens to shred and jam itself into the gap around one or the other rollers but unlikely to do any real damage.
I had one of from Klingspor's "bargain box" which was quite old (probably closer to 7-8 years) and they would all fail within a very few minutes of getting warm.
I talked to Klingspor about whether any way to rejuvenate or repair -- very nice, but answer was basically "no, at least any way we're going to tell you :)" and their adhesive supplier only guarantees it to them for one year.
I do know that those were fine for 3-4 years; it was somewhere after that when the actual breakdown occurred such that the belts were essentially worthless for anything other than hand sanding.
Leon, yes these belts are several yrs old. I was wondering if the tape used is available for retail or if anyone knew of a glue that would work. I had a business several yrs ago and have several belts of different sizes.
ep wrote:

In High School shop we used to make our own from huge rolls donated by a plywood company. We used a grinding wheel on a DeWalt RAS to grind off the grit on the overlap area. Then we applied white glue and ironed it with a hot clothes iron. Never remember any separating.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
ep wrote:

spaco wrote:

No, I have belts well over 10 years old and they work fine. I can only remember one belt ever separating and I figure it was a defective belt to begin with. I imagine there are numerous qualities of belts out there, some may not hold up over time. Busy shops probably don't have them around long enough to make a difference.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Try http://www.amgron.clara.net/hintsntips/sandingbelts.htm on my web site, but please note that this is taken from some rather old literature.
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Jeff,
Just a note about your site. Whenever you click on a link (that works fine) and then on the homepage icon, you get a 404 error. Didn't test all links but the one above and a couple of more I tried didn't work. Seems it can't find your index.html page.
Bob S.

Thanks! I'll look into it.
Jeff
--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron
Jeff Gorman wrote:

Jeff, it still does it. You have the home page referenced as index.html but the home page is index.htm, no l, bad link... This is on the projects page, not all the pages...
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com