router bits on Ebay

I'm new to this newsgroup but definitely not a novice. That said, there is always something to learn and this looks like the place.

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the router bits offered on Ebay. Specifically the yellow carbide bits (no brand name mentioned)from Super Carbide Tools. I'm looking at a 11 pc set of 1/2" shank for around $30 and a panel raising bit under $20. I know, if it sounds too good.......... that's why I'm asking. I certainly don't want a 3-1/2" dia. bit coming apart on me. Is it possible they're made by a Brand Name like so many store brands are?

Part of my thinking is that the specialty bits are used only occasionally and therefore even the cheapies would last quite a while. Go with brand names for hardworking bits like round over, straight, template, etc.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Reply to
Bob C

Bob C wrote: | I'm new to this newsgroup but definitely not a novice. That said, | there is always something to learn and this looks like the place. | | I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the router bits | offered on Ebay. Specifically the yellow carbide bits (no brand name | mentioned)from Super Carbide Tools. I'm looking at a 11 pc set of | 1/2" shank for around $30 and a panel raising bit under $20. I | know, if it sounds too good.......... that's why I'm asking. I | certainly don't want a 3-1/2" dia. bit coming apart on me. Is it | possible they're made by a Brand Name like so many store brands are? | | Part of my thinking is that the specialty bits are used only | occasionally and therefore even the cheapies would last quite a | while. Go with brand names for hardworking bits like round over, | straight, template, etc. | | Any thoughts? Thanks

I bought a set of cheapie yellow carbide bits at Menards. Closed the collet on a 3/8" straight bit and fired up the router. I had white pine smoke before I'd managed to rout even 1/4".

What you're looking at may not be the same - but I don't think /I'll/ ever buy another router bit with yellow paint on it. :-(

Morris Dovey

Yeah, I got a set like that before also. And like they say, you get what you pay for.

I had assumed that they were cr*p, but I figured it would be good to practice with "throw away" bits.

There are many great router bits out there ... CMT, Freud, Whiteside ... and of course they cost more, but in the long run it's worth it.

If you have little to no experience with routing, then get the cheap bits, practice on cheap wood, and then get yourself some nice bits. But I'd stay away from the bargain basement panel raising bit. There is no way that it would be worth the trouble it'll give you. For that, you need a nice bit. Again ... well worth the extra bucks in the long run.

Jack

Bob C wrote:

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

If your going to wait for it to be shipped from where ever, have a look at Lee Valley Tools bits . Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. I have more than a few of them and find they work well.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I expected to hear. By the way Woodcraft.com still has some of their bits on sale at $5.00 ea. This is an introductory price to introduce their own line of bits. I've tried a few and they are very good. Not sure how regular prices will compare.

Bob C

Reply to
Bob C

Might want to check out Infinity Tools down around Tampa.

Have some attractive prices.

I got a dovetail bit from them as a test.

I'm satisfied.

It is my understanding that the guy who runs the place is the son of the guy who was involved with Jeseda and CMT.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I believe "Razor Tools" is that company. Their "Product Information" page starts out "It is the mission of Jesada Tool..."

Nova

Thanks, I'll check it out

Bob C

Reply to
Bob C

Razor looks like a distributor.

Infinity is a manufacturer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Look at the shipping costs and see what it really costs to buy these bits from ebay. In many cases you will do better by going directly to the source, i.e. Harbor Freight or a similar web or mail order company. I say this as someone who has bought probably over 200 items from ebay sellers over the years. There are many bargains to be had there but don't look to ebay as the last word in best deals.

Reply to
lwasserm

You might take a look here

They have a fair selection. Mostly name brands. I visit their store faily often since I live in the same city. They also handle other tools and things also. Jim

Reply to
James

Bob,

You should check out MCLS bits. Do a search and you'll find them. They have some great specials on their boxed sets of bits right now. They also carry Amana for their top of the line bits.

Bryan

Reply to
damnyankee

Might want to check this out.

I'm happy with a dovetail bit I purchased for test.

*/Overstock Router Bits /*

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You want cheap bits? Try Hartville's clearance set of 24 with 1/2" shanks. $30.

Frank Howell