router bits on Ebay

I'm new to this newsgroup but definitely not a novice. That said, there is always something to learn and this looks like the place.
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the router bits offered on Ebay. Specifically the yellow carbide bits (no brand name mentioned)from Super Carbide Tools. I'm looking at a 11 pc set of 1/2" shank for around $30 and a panel raising bit under $20. I know, if it sounds too good.......... that's why I'm asking. I certainly don't want a 3-1/2" dia. bit coming apart on me. Is it possible they're made by a Brand Name like so many store brands are?
Part of my thinking is that the specialty bits are used only occasionally and therefore even the cheapies would last quite a while. Go with brand names for hardworking bits like round over, straight, template, etc.
Any thoughts? Thanks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob C wrote: | I'm new to this newsgroup but definitely not a novice. That said, | there is always something to learn and this looks like the place. | | I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the router bits | offered on Ebay. Specifically the yellow carbide bits (no brand name | mentioned)from Super Carbide Tools. I'm looking at a 11 pc set of | 1/2" shank for around $30 and a panel raising bit under $20. I | know, if it sounds too good.......... that's why I'm asking. I | certainly don't want a 3-1/2" dia. bit coming apart on me. Is it | possible they're made by a Brand Name like so many store brands are? | | Part of my thinking is that the specialty bits are used only | occasionally and therefore even the cheapies would last quite a | while. Go with brand names for hardworking bits like round over, | straight, template, etc. | | Any thoughts? Thanks
I bought a set of cheapie yellow carbide bits at Menards. Closed the collet on a 3/8" straight bit and fired up the router. I had white pine smoke before I'd managed to rout even 1/4".
What you're looking at may not be the same - but I don't think /I'll/ ever buy another router bit with yellow paint on it. :-(
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yeah, I got a set like that before also. And like they say, you get what you pay for.
I had assumed that they were cr*p, but I figured it would be good to practice with "throw away" bits.
There are many great router bits out there ... CMT, Freud, Whiteside ... and of course they cost more, but in the long run it's worth it.
If you have little to no experience with routing, then get the cheap bits, practice on cheap wood, and then get yourself some nice bits. But I'd stay away from the bargain basement panel raising bit. There is no way that it would be worth the trouble it'll give you. For that, you need a nice bit. Again ... well worth the extra bucks in the long run.
Jack
Bob C wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

If your going to wait for it to be shipped from where ever, have a look at Lee Valley Tools bits . Not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. I have more than a few of them and find they work well.
Jim
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob C wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I expected to hear. By the way Woodcraft.com still has some of their bits on sale at $5.00 ea. This is an introductory price to introduce their own line of bits. I've tried a few and they are very good. Not sure how regular prices will compare.
Bob C
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob C wrote:
> Thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I expected to hear.
Might want to check out Infinity Tools down around Tampa.
Have some attractive prices.
I got a dovetail bit from them as a test.
I'm satisfied.
It is my understanding that the guy who runs the place is the son of the guy who was involved with Jeseda and CMT.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I believe "Razor Tools" is that company. Their "Product Information" page starts out "It is the mission of Jesada Tool..."
http://allita.net/Projects/omnicat5/index.php?cat_id=0
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nova wrote:
> > I believe "Razor Tools" is that company. Their "Product Information" > page starts out "It is the mission of Jesada Tool..."
Razor looks like a distributor.
Infinity is a manufacturer.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Bob C
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob C wrote:

You want cheap bits? Try Hartville's clearance set of 24 with 1/2" shanks. $30. http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12223
--
Frank Howell


-----------------
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Look at the shipping costs and see what it really costs to buy these bits from ebay. In many cases you will do better by going directly to the source, i.e. Harbor Freight or a similar web or mail order company. I say this as someone who has bought probably over 200 items from ebay sellers over the years. There are many bargains to be had there but don't look to ebay as the last word in best deals.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob C wrote:

You might take a look here http://www.cripedistributing.com /. They have a fair selection. Mostly name brands. I visit their store faily often since I live in the same city. They also handle other tools and things also. Jim
--


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bob C wrote:

Bob,
You should check out MCLS bits. Do a search and you'll find them. They have some great specials on their boxed sets of bits right now. They also carry Amana for their top of the line bits.
Bryan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Might want to check this out.
I'm happy with a dovetail bit I purchased for test.
*/Overstock Router Bits /* <http://www.infinitytools.com/departments.asp?dept 57>
Lew
    
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.