router bits on eBay

I see router bit sets on eBay for not a lot of money. I know buyer should be beware, but should these sets be avoided completely? Or are there some really good deals here after all?

Buying a set of 66 or so bits sure seems like a better path than buying one at a time for $15-$20 apiece.

Is there a tremendous dropoff in quality here? They purport to be carbide tipped bits.

(link)

jeljeljel

Better to give these a pass jeljeljel. If you want a half decent set try the Hickory brand sets on Amazon and other places. Not great but okay for most things and very reasonable price. I got a 21 bit set and then purchased more expensive speciality bits as needed.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Agreed. These eBay specials will almost certainly function, but spending a little more will get you a big jump in quality. My first set was the 15-piece set from MLCS, which for $35 is much cheaper than the high-end bits, but in my experience they're much better quality than the cheapo Chinese sets a la eBay. Then as you wear out your MLCS or Hickory bits, or if you really need a top-notch cut, you can move up to Infinitytool.com, Amana, CMT, Whiteside, or one of the other good brands where bits cost $20-50 each. Good luck and stay safe, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Don't forget to add in the "shipping & handling" costs - $25. Not so cheep anymore.

jeljeljel wrote:

Reply to
Anon Ymous

router bit sets on eBay for not a lot of money. I know buyer

I agree. I bought a set of Hickory bits, on a whim, as I was ordering something else from Hartville Tool.

set is still available and surprisingly well made. 1/2" shank too. I only bought the kit about 6 weeks ago and have used the 3/8" straight bit to cut out at least a dozen sink holes in solid surface countertops. That bit won't quit and I lean into it pretty good with a

3? HP router. r
Reply to
Robatoy

I have used full extension slides before, but never these white epoxy coated ones. What I'm finding is that where the middle and outer parts bear against each other it's cutting through the epoxy down to bare metal. I can feel the grit as they operate.

I thought maybe I had installed them out of whack, but I noticed it on the first pair I had just taken out of the packaging and fooled around with a bit then set aside.

I don't know if once they wear all the epoxy off the mating surface they'll be okay or not. There doesn't appear to be any way for the grit to get out of there, and I can't see any way to take the middle part out.

These are 100 lb full extension slides from Lee Valley (02K37.12), who I haven't contacted yet. Just figured I'd see if this was typical for this type of slide before I get Rob's minions fired up.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Oops, didn't mean to do this as a follow up. Sorry for the double post!

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

[...]

I have never had that problem with coated slides. I think I would send a quick e-mail or make a phone call to Lee Valley.

Reply to
Leon

The minions have been activated. The really bad part though is that I already shipped out a project with 8 pairs of them in it to a customer. So now I need to get back in touch with them to find out if they want them replaced, and see if LV will ship those 8 directly to them so I'm not shipping slides all over the country. Not to mention the joy of having your customer have to swap them all out.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf