50 PC 1/2" Shank Router Bits on eBay

There have been quite a few 50 piece (made in China) router bit sets on eBay lately and since I picked up a set, I thought I'd give a mini-review.

I paid about $50 including tax and shipping, so a buck a bit. Or eight bits per bit for those colonial money history buffs.

Overall, they are inline with typical "Made in China" products. They work, but don't expect perfection. On the positive side, the carbide is very close to normal thickness and is brazed on cleanly. No rust on shafts. Sharpeness is "so so" based on subjective comparision to Amana, whiteside, etc. Comes with a basic case not particularly well made but serves the purpose. Nice labels.

On the negative side, one roman ogee bit had a very small nick on one cutter which left a small ridge. Since it was only on one cutter yet still left a ridge that begs the question if the two cutters are aligned. Another negative is that the bearings are not as smooth and tight as brand name bits. I noticed some small vibration of the wood resting on the bearing when the cutter slowed to a stop.

Would I buy another set? Sure.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Morin

SO would I... as in HF stuff... it's cool as long as you get what you pay for and don't have of high quality at bargain prices..

For people like me that don't do a lot of routing, it's an affordable way to get an assortment of bits, and if they wear out quickly, they get tossed without guilt.. *g*

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

I've had a 50 PC set for about 6 months and have found that most bits work well enough if used on a limited basis. The trim bits with bearings do not have the life (nor sharpness) of , say a Whiteside product, but various round over and ogee bits that are used to finish a piece or two do the job. My only caution is that one should double check the bits with pilot bearings before use. The set comes with an Allen wrench and it's well worth the time to check each bit to ensure that the screw is tight in the bit. Had one experience with a pilot bearing coming loose and it can really spoil a job in short order.

Reply to
TEF

or a needed and loved BODY PART! I double check every thing..

IMHO, when you stop being mildly afraid of your tools, you start damaging or losing body parts.. mine are kinda used and wrinkled, but I still want 'em intact..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis