Bosch 1617EVSPK -- 1/4 or 1/2 bits?

Hi,

I'm wondering about the difference between these types of router bits; do they fit in general with any router? Or are the 1/2 bits exclusively to be used with industrial- grade machinery?

I just got a Bosch 1617EVSPK (a 2.25 HP, with variable speed, soft-start, and I think servo-controlled speed). I don't have a router table (not planning to get one in the near future, due to limited space), is there anything special I have to look for? Anything to avoid?

I'm aiming at something of good quality, but not the top-of-the-line state-of-the-art bits, which I presume would cost me a fortune.

I'm thinking of ordering some bits from LeeValley (online). Are those good?

Thanks for any advice,

Carlos

--

Reply to
Carlos Moreno

1/2" bits will fit most any average sized and larger decent router. You have a very decent router. The 1/2" bits are sturdier and should not cost more to buy as same profile 1/4" bits start off from the same sizes stock that the 1/2" bits are made from. I buy 1/2" bits when ever possable.

IMHO you should get the best bit that you can afford for your most commonly used selection. Buy the bits as you need them. Boxed sets are usually a good value ONLY if you need all of the bits in the set. Otherwise, the extra bits may set for years with out being used. Typically you want round over bits, Ogee bits, and straight bits for hand held use. Avoid LARGE profile bits untill you get a router table.

CMT, Amana, Jesada, Freud, and Whiteside make very good bits. I'm sure there are others.

I have never used Lee Valley bits but Lee Valley is a great company to deal with. If you are not happy with your purchase, they will gladly and promptly make it right at their expense.

Reply to
Leon

I always choose 1/2" bits when possible. There is less chance of the shaft bending or flexing under stress and affecting the cut quality.

I have several of the same router and have gotten excellent results with them, both in and out of a table. Some folks have had switches go bad, but mine have been fine so far.

Buy them as you need them, and buy the best. Kits are rarely a good value, as you may never use some of the bits. I prefer Whiteside and CMT bits, but occasionally will buy a cheaper bit for a one-off use. What scares me the most with cheap bits is the weld quality. A loose piece of carbide at 25,000 RPM is not cool!

I haven't used them, but LV has an excellent return policy. I wouldn't worry about trying any of their products.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

"Carlos Moreno"

They are a decent bit. I have a few of them and no problem at all.

I have the same router, but mounted in a table. I agree with the others about the 1/2" bit. You have more surface area for the collet to grab onto, as well as being stronger.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks to all that replied for your comments and advice!

Cheers,

Carlos

--

Reply to