Can I convert my router to hold 1/2 inch bits

No

Reply to
Tim W

x-no-archive:yes

I have a Ryobi router my father bought me for Christmas. It uses 1/4 inch bits. Can it be converted to use 1/2 bits? The reason I am asking is I would like to experiment with raised panel bits in my router table but I have never been able to find them in 1/4 inch shank size.

Reply to
stryped

No you cant,however if you want raised panel bits for a 1/4" ebay

The3rd Earl Of Derby

And it couldn't spin a raised panel bit anyhow; too wimpy and (probably) no variable speed.

Reply to
Toller

That's Jumpin' Jesus on a Pogo Stick No.

Reply to
boorite

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Swinging a 2" diameter bit with 1/2" depth of cut on a 1/4" shank at full speed with 1.5 hp... let us know how that goes.

Reply to
boorite

Also, we'll be wanting to do that in red oak.

Reply to
boorite

What are you telling me for? tell the OP I just pointed out where to obtain

1/4" shaft RP bits.
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
stryped

Read and you shall be rewarded.

Section : Understanding routing

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
stryped

It's red. Very negative color.

Reply to
Locutus

For the purpose of swinging a 2" diameter panel-raising bit on a 1.5 hp router, red oak is a bit on the hard side.

The good news: That burning smell is probably the wood.

The bad news: It is probably also the motor.

Reply to
boorite

Unfortunately it won't be red enough to mask the blood when the bit breaks and shreds whatever part of your body it hits.

Reply to
Rich

Unless the shank just keels over first.

I'm entirely too amused by this thread, BTW.

Reply to
boorite

The answer is yes. MLCS sells an adapter that allows 1/2" Router Bits in a

1/4"Collet. I would not reccomend it because the strain it would place on your routers bearings. The length of the adapter would cause much force against the bearings. If you do use it take light cuts. As far as the people who said it didn't exist thought just because they didn't know about the adapter no one would know. It's alled human folly.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a 1/2" collet router:

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Is it now? I think it's folly to suppose that MLCS or anyone sells such a product. I think you've misread just slightly. If not, please tell us what particular adapter lets you use a 1/2" shank in a 1/4" collet.

Reply to
boorite

Oh, you can get these things alright. I mention them only to make it quite plain that there's no earthly way I'd be in the same workshop as one of them in use. I'd rather use a spindle moulder with a French cutter in it.

Probably not how I would have worded it, but I can't quibble with the sentiment 8-)

Reply to
dingbat