router bits

I have seven speeds on my router. Is there certain speeds for certain wood types IE hard/soft, to stop from burning my wood ..Ty Jason

Reply to
jasonmahoney

I hope you get some useful responses and in the meantime: Burning the wood is usually a feed-speed problem. I can tell you this much: Motoe Speed should be such that feeding at a particular rate does not causes excessive slow-down in motor speed as evidenced by the sound of the motor. Slow feeding easily and quickly results in burning of the wood and quick loss of hardness of a steel bit. Carbide's a little better, but still relatively easy to ruin by overheating. Save someone more knowledgeable showing up, I'd say get out the manual and/or go to the mfg's web sites and see what they have to offer. Also I think there's a router group, but don't know the name of it. Speeds, by the way, should be high in general, and feed rates too will vary with the type of wood, whether you're cross or with the grain, whether the grain is going in or out of the edge, etc etc etc. Practice makes perfect.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet