Rockler Visit

"Swingman" wrote

Of course it is natural. And organic...., and environmentally conscious....., and sustainable....., and GREEEEEEEEEEEENNN!!!!

Pardon me while go someplace and vomit.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

... and costs approximately 30% more to build than traditional construction.

R48 insulation value is not justification enough for me.

That said, damned few people have accomplished this, and with "green building" coming to the fore around these parts, I'm now more than eminently qualified to get my share of the business ... if I should chose to do so. BTDT, literally from the ground up.

Reply to
Swingman

Nah, hay is green. Straw is sorta yellow brown.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Your forgot EXPENSIVE ... there is nothing in the building trade that is both "green" and inexpensive ... nothing!

Reply to
Swingman

A few years ago, PBS covered the total construction of a "straw bale house".

Can't remember the details, but based on costs at the time, the cost differential was recovered in something like 5-8 years.

If I were to build today, fabrication of complete panels in a production shop, assembled on the jobsite with a crane and crew, ala the This Old House program, would get a very close look.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Maybe even include some of Morris' solar panels?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

That's a gimme for most. But Lew is in the tropics.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
evodawg

You can actually get a building permit for this 3 little piggy construction?

Reply to
evodawg

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Tie-won but engeneered in America

Reply to
Leon

NOT even Red Bull!

Reply to
Leon

Taiwan, IIRC, but I'm not sure.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Snip

I gotta tell you, it's a slippery slope. I got the CT22 Festool Vac with the Domino, it was recommended by Festool dealer, LOL. Then on Robatoy's recommendation on the Festool Rotex Sander I got one to replace my 20 year old PC right angle ROS. When I saw how much dust "there wasn't" after sanding I naturally had to replace my PC SpeedBloc sander also I was/am threw with sanding dust. It takes some getting used to, not seeing any dust on the work and the paper looking brand new when it is worn out.

Reply to
Leon

Especially since in the floor hydronic heating would be specified.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Isn't straw a mold magnet?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I like the way you think! :)

With R-48 insulation, it wouldn't take much panel area to keep the place cozy all through the winter - and since the panels operate in the 110F temperature range (slightly higher temperatures at higher altitudes - to a max operating temperature of 125F at 5,000 feet) there'd be no fire hazard from the heating system.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

And a construction/mortgage loan?

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

In the vein of dust free, you should have a look at Festool's website. They have a video of a router with an attached Festool vacuum cutting a dado and there's very little dust to be seen.

Reply to
Upscale

Apparently it's covered in the International Building Code so neither permits nor loans should be an issue in areas where that code applies.

Reply to
J. Clarke