Near Rock Fight at Rockler

Well, I thought I was going to witness one this morning at the Rockler sale. I was #2 at the store around 6am. The doors open at 7a.m. Hmmm. Nobody's interested in those K-body clamp sets? Well at 6:40, the laggards start showing up. We peek in the window and count - 7 sets available. I see what's going to happen, so I took a poll. Out of the first 8 people in line, 5 of them are there to buy a total of 7 clamp sets. We have a gentleman's agreement that those seven sets are spoken for and everyone's happy.

At 6:55, the manager walks to the front of the store with keys in hand. He cracks the door and says "no running", then swings it wide open. Wouldn't you know it? Some guy at the back of the line somehow sneaks through and grabs a clamp set. One of our gentleman looks around stunned and said "Hey what happened to my clamp set - I was one of the first one's here". We identify the sneaky guy and they proceed to argue. I jump in and support our gentleman. Mr. Sneaky than says one of the guys that got two sets should give up one. I'm one of them At this point, I'm a bit flushed and firmly state "first come, first served, I was hear an hour before you and tighten my grip on the two heavy clamp sets that are killing the buldging disks in my spine".

Was it worth it? I don't know. I think I'm kind of mad at Rockler about doing this kind of sale. They've been splashing email for two weeks now about all these great sales. I even called the store to ask about available quanitities and they said they had been unloading 3 trucks a day for a week. It makes a few people happy and a whole lot of people mad. I got up at 5am, drove 15 miles and paid $3.00 in tolls to save about $80 on the street price for some clamps. It was barely worth it. I think I'll pass next time (yeah, right).

Bob

Reply to
Bob

There isn't a Rockler near me, so I wasn't tempted, but after looking at the "mass mechants" ads for after Thanksgiving sales, it looked like they were getting away from that kind of thing also. I know some people were injured in a Walmart last year. There were still deals, but I think they were less of a bargain, but quanitities were larger. It makes more sense too make a lot of people feel like they got a deal than having a few people think they got a "steal".

Reply to
ToolMiser

Your first encounter with pointy elbows?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I know what WoodCraft does in these instances. They special order the merchandise and ship direct to you at no additional charge if they run out of a sale item or an out of stock item for that matter. That would have been the honorable thing to do.

Reply to
Leon

Getting OT here, but there is a right way to handle those kind of events. I went to an OfficeMax near me yesterday morning - the $20 leather office chair enticed me in - plus picked up a bunch of free-after-rebate junk.

Arriving at 6:45 for a 7am opening, I was surprised to see about 25 people in line already. by the time the doors opened, it was more like 60.

But, they had a bunch of clerks there, they came out before the opening and explained where everything was and answered questions. They had the carts all lined up in the direction of the sale items. They had 1 or 2 clerks at the two main areas where the sale items were. They had all the rebate "freebies" ("reebies"???) in one aisle and herded people up one side and down the other, then to the line to the registers.

Not often I'll go to any store on the day after Thanksgiving, but I was pleasantly surprised how smoothly it went.

Hmm... let's make this slightly on-topic: One of the reebies I picked up was a cordless phone I can put down in my basement shop. No worries if I drop it or it fills up with dust and quits working.

Reply to
Keith Carlson

"Bob" wrote in news:O01qd.1586$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

More's the pity, since Amazon is said to be matching the price on the kit, free shipping, no sales tax, sleep in if you need to.

And AllProTools has the Gross Stabils on special, although they are the Scott Phillips signature models. That can be ground off, I suppose. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Spend a lot of time reading your clamps do you? :-)

bob g.

patriarch < wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Spend a lot of time reading your clamps do you? :-)

bob g.

patriarch < wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Spend a lot of time reading your clamps do you? :-)

bob g.

patriarch < wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Sorry for the multiples. Netscape choked on Patriarch's address. I thought it aborted the send period but obviously it got half the send accomplished. My apologies.

bob g.

Robert Galloway wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Well since you asked ... personally, I would've kept my participation in such a disgusting display of misplaced priorities to myself.

Reply to
Swingman

I was one of 5 waiting this morning and all of us headed for the clamp section. People started to look around for them. I didn't bother, I went and asked a clerk instead. Turns out they were in the front of the store. So I headed there, followed by every- one else. There were 5 sets. I was going to get two, grabbed one and as I reached for the second guilt came over me: geez, I'm going to stiff a guy this way. So I let it go. Then the second guy beind me grabs two....

I agree with you: it's misleading - only 5 sets in a store - and demeaning. There are sales like this, with extremely limited quantitites, all over the place now. To me it shows a basic contempt for people, turning the process into an ugly game.

Reply to
GregP

How about a basic contempt of the immature for each other?

Apparently the biggest mistake the store made is expecting some folks to act like adults, instead of kindergarten kids.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman responds:

Yes. I have always wondered about the psychological make-up of those who participate in sales that create panic and nastiness. Is there really anything out there that's worth making that big an ass of yourself to get?

They're saving what, $20 on a $40 clamp?

Jeez. I could understand it if it were an antique Mercedes Gull Wing to the first guy through the door with a $50 bill in his hand, but for a 20 or 30 or

40 or even 200 buck savings, it's ludicrous. And it happens every single year, time after time, place after place.

Blessed be the children. Let them come unto me.

And they do.

Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" More's the pity, since Amazon is said to be matching the price on the kit,

Amazon is selling the kit at $124.99. Rockler had it for $99.99. Even with sales tax, its still much cheaper.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

You can tell it's Christmas!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Robert Galloway wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

I happened to record one of his shows, because David Marks was to be a guest. It reminded me of why I stopped watching.

The GS PC2s are pretty good clamps - easily in the same league with the KBodies and the Cabinet Masters. Just seems a shame to market them in such a manner.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

So you guys agreed that he didn't get one, and he cheated? Sounds like he got there fustest with the mostest. Or had he concurred with the agreement? It kind of sounded otherwise from your description.

And no, it wasn't me....

Mike Beede

Reply to
Mike Beede

Was "Mr. Sneaky" a party to your "gentleman's" agreement? If not, why in the world should he feel bound by it?

As written, it sounds like you felt enough empathy for "Mr. Clampless" that you were willing to argue that a third person should give him their only set, but you didn't feel enough empathy for him to give him one of your two sets.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

See the other thread about the clamps. Perhaps they should have said "one per customer" to spread out the good will to as many as possible. If the gentlemen were truly gentlemen, they would not be fighting over getting two sets and if someone can get from the back of the line to the goodies first, well good for them. Perfectly legal.

One of the Boston department stores has a wedding dress sale once a year. $1000 dresses for $100. People have been injured in the stampede. Saving money is a good thing, but charging a store like animals is just not worth in, IMO. Many of these black Friday sales are downright dangerous and people get trampled and injured. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski