Rockler HVLP Sprayer

Not trying to produce spam or bacon here, but I know that some of you guys have been asking about clearcloats (Shellac, e.g.,) & tip size. I just re ceived this in my email today, maybe you did too.

Regardless, Hope it helps someone else out.

We thought you'd like to be one of the first to see our new HVLP Finishing Sprayer. It's a time saver that delivers a great finish at a low cost. As a n e-mail subscriber, you qualify for FREE Shipping Every Day on orders of $

35 or more when you enter promo code V20305 at checkout.

?&utm_campaign=042617_b_r_Have+ You+Seen+This_V20305

Reply to
Steve

Here's a shorter link that doesn't include potentially personal information about you:

Generally, you should remove everything after the first '?' symbol in the URL before posting, just in case customer numbers or other personal information is encoded in the query string (the characters after the first interrogatory symbol).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Thanks, Scott! That's very helpful.

Reply to
Steve

Hi Steve,

I assume you use this or one like this.

I have on many occasions considered using this type equipment in the last 30 years. I had a terrible experience with a Wagner Airless sprayer 30+ years ago.

Anyway, How much trouble is it to clean these/this sprayers?

Is this unit good enough to deliver a fine finish on relatively fine furniture, bare wood?

Reply to
Leon

I have to admit, Leon, I use no such thing, I just noticed that others were asking. Personally, I'm a Purdy guy, especially when it comes to clearco ats. I'll use a white bristle, but I especially like the Purdy OxO line for thinner clears like lacquers & varnishes.

I got my start in construction and real estate generally as a housepainter, and I did a lot of upscale homes in greater Boston. (What else was I sup posed to do with a liberal arts degree??) Anyway, I have tried them, see n them used, and I have also worked in lumber yards/paint stores that sold them. I'm not speaking on behalf of the Rockler unit, but generally they ca n be trouble.

As an analogy, working with them is like using a 2 cycle engine-- if you're not using it all the time, the ethanol is going to tear up your carbs; t he residue is going to clog your tips; if you ARE using them all the time, then you know what you're doing, how to clean, what degree to thin the flu id to, and what sort of stippling you'll get out of it. The challenge for most of us is getting to the point of being proficient or better at sprayin g with them.

Units like these, I know guys who use them all the time, but STILL backbrus h their clearcoats. It's going to depend on one's proficiency and level of detail.

Maybe Rockler would be open to an in-store demo.

Reply to
Steve

Thank you Steve.

Reply to
Leon

If anybody does get one I would love to hear a review.

Reply to
Jim

That sprayer has been around for a while, regardless of it being new to Roc kler. It is an Earlex 2 stage, considered at best an entry level machine. That being said, you can get some good use out of it. Like many tools, yo u can't get premium results using a great deal of materials, but it does ha ve its place.

Sound likes me. Once bitten, twice shy. OK, maybe thrice shy.

This is an all plastic unit, so the surfaces can be problematic. As with a ny spray rig, cleanliness is one of the keys to a consistent finish. The p lastic doesn't hold up to the hard resinous residue that can form from cont inued spraying being removed with harsh solvents and a stiff brush. If you are going to use it once in a while, say once a month or so, this could be a great choice.

That truly depends on the material you are applying. Part of using HVLP te chnology means that you will learn proper thinning and mixing procedures fo r your finish. You can thin solvent based finishes that have no solids lik e lacquer, most shellacs, and clear polyurethanes, etc. and spray them well as they have no solids to desegregate when thinned.

Other materials put a specific limit on how much you can thin before you ha ve ruined the material itself, or wind up with a bad finish. For example, a satin finish poly is no different than a clear gloss except that the sati n has a certain percentage of silica crystals that diffuse the light and ma ke it "non gloss". Over thinning the satin finish will cause the silica to come out of suspension and give you a blotchy finish.

But, since an HVLP doesn't break down the finishes into tiny droplets like our old guns that could create a fog bank, you have to become a master of t hinning.

This is a two stage unit, so it has enough power to do a fair amount of wor k. For what you are doing Leon, this could be a great deal for clear coats if you find a finish you like and "woodshed it" to get your formulas corre ct. Thin more on cooler days, less on warm day, more for that finish and l ess for others. The gun has rudimentary controls on it, so you can tinker with it to fine tune what you want.

I had a Fuji 4 stage with their best gun and selection of air caps, and fin ally sold it. I used it a lot and got great results with clear finishes an d even latex, but it was redundant after a fashion. Remember too, that the se sprayers /reduce/ the overspray and drift, not eliminate it. If you are spraying in your shop, you will still have to cover your tools. If you ar e going to make a rolling platform, you can do what I do. Put your material on a cart/roller, roll it out on the driveway, spray, roll it back in the garage.

This could do all you want if you don't go for the real high performance en amels, etc. An occasional project is what these are made for as well as be ing a stepping stone to other HVLP machines. Certainly, the price is right ! I paid a bit under a grand for my Fuji 12 years ago, no telling what tha t is now. It required less thinning and material manipulation before appli cation because it was a 4 stage.

I have not used one of these personally, but have instructed two different clients on their use. One shot poly and some primers, and the other shot s hellac and latex. Both were happy with their results, both thankful I told them to 1) keep good notes on the temp, humidity and thinning procedures u sed on each material, and 2) practice on anything but your project.

I know Karl has some instructions on how to set this rig up. He has one ve ry similar, and I scribbled out a bunch on gun setup. You know how much he likes his results with this setup when shooting shellac. I am telling you , once you get proficient spraying, you will have a hard time going back to rubbing, back rolling, brushing, sanding, and all the other things that mo st people hate about finishing.

Oh yeah... they aren't hard to clean! A package of tooth brushes from the dollar store, some hard round tooth picks and come clean solvent make the j ob go quick.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Clean up is my biggest gripe.

Probably exclusively clear poly.

And that would be a problem for me, it is very seldom not windy in my driveway.

Got it. And THANK YOU Robert.

Reply to
Leon

actually airless sprayer is ideal for large spraying size like a house / ro ofing and interior / exterior wall. hvlp spray gun is good for clear coat because it's very thin. but it can't spray heavier paint like enamel or latex.

so depends on your application, chose the right sprayer. below are some reference for using an airless paint sprayer

t-sprayer-reviews.html

-an-airless-sprayer.html

uys have been asking about clearcloats (Shellac, e.g.,) & tip size. I jus t received this in my email today, maybe you did too.

ing Sprayer. It's a time saver that delivers a great finish at a low cost. As an e-mail subscriber, you qualify for FREE Shipping Every Day on orders of $35 or more when you enter promo code V20305 at checkout.

ave+You+Seen+This_V20305

Reply to
dpairless

s have been asking about clearcloats (Shellac, e.g.,) & tip size. I just received this in my email today, maybe you did too.

g Sprayer. It's a time saver that delivers a great finish at a low cost. As an e-mail subscriber, you qualify for FREE Shipping Every Day on orders of $35 or more when you enter promo code V20305 at checkout.

e+You+Seen+This_V20305

I know specialized tools are neat things to have, but why would anyone want a dedicated HVLP unit? Seriously, an 8gal HF air compressor and a HF spot touch up gun and you are up and running for somewhere around $100. Plus y ou get all the other uses an air compressor comes in so handy for. With th e dedicated unit, you can just spray finish.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Maybe it's just me and my set-up, but I prefer having the stand-alone unit for a couple reasons.

  1. It's much more portable than separate gun & compressor.
  2. It's much quieter. When I used the 8-gallon tank and gun, it seemed like the compressor never stopped running, even with the low pressure spray gun.
Reply to
-MIKE-