HVLP Sprayer Habor Freight?

I've read on here a few times about this sprayer unit and was wondering if it will spray latex primer and latex in general? Also if you have to thin it and with what?

Building some cabinets and customer wants them white. I have always just painted them with a brush, but have been told these sprayers work great for this type of job.

Thanks for any advice on these sprayers. Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I think they sell a couple. I have the one with a separate turbine and sprayer, and it works great for oil-based enamel. I haven't tried it with latex (which I wouldn't use anyway for cabinets due to the blocking) but would not expect it to do well. I tried waterborne acrylic, but kept getting fish-eye when I thinned it enough for the gun.

Reply to
alexy

Evo - buy the one with the metal paint cup. I think it is made in a different Chiawanese factory than the all plastic one, and I believe it is a two stage unit.

Barry (who we will see after the election turmoil dies down) is another finisher, and both of us have top line HVLP systems. But when he primes, he uses the HF unit and says it works quite well. He also told me he has used it for different enamels as well.

With that in mind, I have directed a couple of my friends that didn't want to drop a pile of cash on a heavy duty unit to buy them. They love them, and one does some nice work work with unit.

Like anything else, you will need to practice with your thinning and spray pressures/patterns as it doesn't have enough power to really push out some of the thicker finishes. I am pretty sure they bought this one, HF # 91772.

For $39, I think it is a steal. If it were me buying one, I would also figure how to change out the hose to get a longer length if I liked it. (I have a 25' length of heavy duty hose on mine, plus an 8' whip).

7' of hose is just something to trip over unless you are spraying small stuff. With a one stage unit, you can use plain garden hose to make yourself a longer hose. HF also sells the quick disconnect for larger hoses like that as well. See part number 65180. I have them on my hoses and they work great.

Don't forget to pick up the cleaning kit while you are there.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks Robert, I'll copy and paste the model #'s and check it out. I've heard good things about these units and like you said, you can't beat the price.

Thanks again, Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Tractor Supply had some cheap hvlp conversion guns with metal cups. 2 guns with different tips for pretty cheap.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Jim Behning wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You have to be careful with cheap paint spray guns. They might cause you to waste more money in paint than the good gun cost!

I picked up one from a farm supply store that's that way. I used it once and watched it waste about 50% of the primer I was spraying. I expect some waste, but not 50%.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I went to the nearest Harbor Freight today and they didn't have the one I wanted. So on the way home I stopped by a friends Woodworking Shop and learned he had turn for the worse with his fight against cancer and it wasn't good. So he was selling everything in his shop. Most of all the good stuff was already sold off. But he did have, still sealed in the box never used HVLP spray gun and compressor distributed by Rockler. Still had the receipt taped to the box for 78.00. He sold it to me for 40.00. It looks like a decent model and it has a 15' hose.

I wish he had told me he was selling off his stuff. I was not happy why he was selling but I could have used his Shaper machine and his dust control setup and he was getting rid of everything. It made me feel strange going through his stuff. I felt like a vulture. I did not recognize him when I first saw him, I almost asked if he was here and then I realized it was him. He looked bad. His two sons were there cleaning up and I had a chance to talk with them and they didn't give their dad to much longer. Said they were all going to Hawaii for a 2 week vacation. I think it was probably the last time they would all be able to spend time together. A sad day Rich

Reply to
evodawg

That's the one I referred to earlier in this thread. Woodcraft and Harbor freight sell the same unit. I have been very happy with it spraying properly thinned (a key, I have found) oil-based enamel. But I remain skeptical of it for latex. Please report back on how it works for you.

Reply to
alexy

Sorry to hear about your friend and cancer. I hope that he gets better and if he doesn't that he goes without too much pain.

That said, the HVLP that you have is a decent one for the price. HVLP isn't really the ideal setup for latex, but if you gotta do it, use the biggest tip, add some Floetrol (you can get it at Home Despot or any decent paint store--read the label for how to use it) and thin with water as needed, and be sure you get it on heavy enough to level but not so heavy that it sags. You may need to do two coats.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sad :-(

Reply to
Stuart

latex paint. But I will have to thin it too much in order to pass the test -- thinning more than what the paint manufacturer has recommended. Obviously this is not what I want to do. I end up using a roller and brush to use up the latex paint.

If I remember this correctly, the owner manual didn't state very clearly about whether it can work with latex paint or not -- kind of like "you can try and it may work". I probably will use the sprayer for oil based paint in the future, but not for latex.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Think from what I have read from you guys I will be using oil base paint. Although I haven't tried oil yet, guess this is as good as anytime to start Thanks to all that responded Rich

Reply to
evodawg

I think you will be happy with it. My first major (for me) project was a bookcase I painted with latex. It looked nice, but any book that stayed in one place too long would stick to the shelf (called for a reason unknown to me "blocking"), a common problem with latex. An oil-based enamel will dry to a nice hard film.

A couple of pointers from my experience:

1) work with good ventilation 2) get a mask that filters organics, NOT just a dust mask. Relatively inexpensive at the borgs. 3) Thin, thin, thin! When spraying horizontal surfaces, it is almost impossible to thin too much, particularly with the sprayer you and I have. And remember that when the manufacturer says, for instance, "thin no more than 15%", the reason for that is the VOC claim. They need to be able to say "when used according to directions, the VOC's are no more than x". It does not mean that thinning more will yield undesirable results. 4) Give some time before judging your work. Oil-based enamel may dry dust-free in a couple of hours and dry for handling in 12 hours, but it is not done yet. The finish will continue to cure for at least 2-3 days, with the finish seeming to "tighten up" on your work, becoming smoother. (This "tightening" also causes it to hug the surface tighter, seeming to suck into every little flaw you may have left when preparing the surface. DAMHIKT) 5) Try thinning with mineral spirits. It dries slower than paint thinner, so is a little more forgiving of bad spraying technique, and finish flows more easily to get a full wet coat. I understand that pros like to use lacquer thinner since it flashes off very fast. And I do that with the primer. But pros have spraying skill that I will never have, and I like the crutch of a slower-drying thinner.

Good luck.

Alex

Reply to
alexy

FWIW, I have some bookcases I painted with latex about 10 years ago and they still have the "blocking" problem. Seems the darker the color the more the problem occurs and persists. Since these were for a train room, I painted them Pullman green :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thanks Alex, I'll take all that under consideration. Good tips!!

Thanks to all Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Regardless of the kind of paint, tell the paint store you want "non-blocking". It's not unique to latex.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good to know. Guess I just lucked out with my oil-based enamel. It is not promoted as non-blocking, but I haven't had any problems.

Reply to
alexy

Well gave it a whirl today and liked the results!!! Sprayed the primer and now getting ready to spray the primary color. Wow what a time saver!!! Easy clean up to....

Thanks to all Rich

Reply to
evodawg

Hey..... good for you Rich! I hope you post another update to let us know how you did with your finish coats.

Start a new thread if you do so I won't miss it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'll do that. Thanks