response to KCET re: The New Yankee Workshop with Norm

the following is my response to the letter from KCET (local pbs station in Los Angeles) informing me that NTW and TOH are no longer in their line-up guess I'm a bit peeved Hal

Dear Mr. Zachary, Perhaps you could expla> Dear Mr. Hanevik,

> Thank you for your note. > > "The New Yankee Workshop" as well as "This Old House" are no longer in > the > KCET Saturday afternoon schedule. There are no plans to air the two > series. > > Best, > > > > > Bohdan Zachary > KCET > Director, Broadcast & Pledge Programming > 323-953-5440 > snipped-for-privacy@kcet.org > ***************************************************************** > > > >
Reply to
Hal H

I have also responded. Contact me off list if you would like a copy.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As you can see, the following post was sent directly to KCET Management.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lew Hodgett" To: Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 8:51 PM Subject: RE: KCET Begging

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I email him as well. No Norm? No Money from me.

Dave

Dear Mr. Zachary, Perhaps you could expla Dear Mr. Hanevik,

Thank you for your note.

"The New Yankee Workshop" as well as "This Old House" are no longer in the KCET Saturday afternoon schedule. There are no plans to air the two series.

Best,

Bohdan Zachary KCET Director, Broadcast & Pledge Programming

323-953-5440 snipped-for-privacy@kcet.org *****************************************************************

TeamCasa

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Why do you believe that wage-earners should be forced to pay part of their earnings to subsidize others' recreational viewing desires at the force of the government's tax system? Sure, it's a small amount, but a small amount to public television, a small amount to public radio, a small amount to the national endowment for the arts, ... and so on eventually becomes a big amount -- and one that was never the intent of the framers that money be taken from one group of people to pay for something for another group's personal pleasure.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Ayup. How is PBS really any different from a magazine? If you want to subscribe, subscribe.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Agreed.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Are you talking about the Bush subsidies throught the ONDCP and others? Or perhaps you mean the massive multi-billion dollar subsidy to broadcasters in the form of free bandwidth? I could go on with numerous other examples.

Probably all of it doesn't add up to the cost of a single weapon system that the Pentagon says they don't want but some senator or the Carlyle group still manages to get it passed.

What about you? What about all the subsidies you receive? Oh, that's right... you're part of an elite that deserves other people's money.

Besides, you keep arguing that the founding fathers were wrong about just about everything.

Reply to
p_j

What was the goal of this email? I hope that it was to vent, and not to really try to get the show back on. Local PBS affiliates rank fund raising very high, and I think that most GM's put it higher than ratings. By stating early in the message that you will NEVER give money I believe that you alienated the recipient and eliminated any chance of making your point.

Bob

Reply to
RWM

I live in the LAX area, fortunately we get KOCE(Orange County PBS) thru Comcast and it airs NYWS,ATOH,TOH and Home Time beginning at 3:30 Saturdays.

Reply to
Yahoo

"Free bandwidth?" You mean after the auction and licensure? Then there's the corporate taxes paid, the wages (and their taxes) paid to employees, and, of course, the value to society of the actual service. If the "owner" of that bandwidth hadn't sold it, none of the above would pertain, there would be only another money pit like PBS.

Oh yes, in addition to the out and out allocation, PBS keeps tax dollars from flowing to state and federal coffers through direct credits and deductions for contributions.

Reply to
George

Not lately. Have you checked if they will still be running them? At least the last two weeks now they have had some other crap on.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

leftist anti-Bush rant with no content

No, don't believe I have ever come even close to saying that, exactly the opposite is really the case.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I checked KOCE's web site, and they've been airing them during the week in the early afternoon. They're going to start showing them on the weekends again starting this weekend. If you weren't watching (or taping) them during the week, you're a few weeks behind like me. TOH is on their next project in Bermuda in the show this weekend.

They used to just stop showing NYW and TOH during pledge time, and start up where they left off after they finished begging.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Yea, I checked too, and they are on the schedule this week, although an hour earlier than normal. I wondered if that was a software glitch due to the time change this weekend. But probably not. I wish they would not move the time up and hour. 3:00 is too early to turn my shop lights off.

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

No, after the donation. The "out and out" one.

Give me free money and I'll pay taxes, hire employees and provide a service to society.

The public?

none of the above would pertain, there

You lost me.

Sorry, your tangent is lost on me, but tell me, are you the guy who works at microsoft?

Reply to
p_j

Rightist and you know it.

Of course you had to edit it, because the content contradicted the utterly pathetic talk radio drivel about PBS. Oh, and it pointed out your stand in faver of subsidised housing for the wealthy, subsidised children, etcetera ad infinitum.

That's the PC thing to say, but every political post contradicts you, including your silly whining about PBS.

Reply to
p_j

Your comments weren't even to the right of Mao Tse Tung.

Huh? Do you even have a clue what you are saying? You are again iterating the idea that letting people keep the fruits of their labors by not taking it away from them in the form of taxes is somehow "subsidizing" them. You think that is a "right-wing" idea? How about instead of "right", "left", "liberal", or "conservative" we identify it for what it really is, "statist" -- the idea that the government is the provider of solutions and has first dibs on all wealth and labor, whatever is left is from the benevolence of that government that they let you keep that much.

OK p_j, point out exactly where in the constitution Congress is given the power to take from one group of people and give to another. Where is the idea of a public information system (aside from the establishment of the Post Office) established by the government and supported by taxpayers? Exactly the opposite ideas were espoused by the framers of the constitution, this is abundantly evident in the writings in the federalist and anti-federalist papers, and by various congressional proceedings at or about the establishment of the US. The founders were very concerned about an encroaching federal government and sought to limit its power and influence. A posting of a speech to congress regarding the inappropriateness of using the peoples' money for a charitable cause was given in this forum several months ago.

Show me where in the constitution, the federalist or anti-federalist papers or other writings of the founders that your positions are their intent. Show where in their writings they would support the idea of limiting the ability of groups of people to pool money to present political ideas and political speech some arbitrary number of days before an election.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita