Re: blue wood?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:39:16 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

TeamCasa wrote: > >> Purpleheart >> Any hardwood supplier near you. > >Not hardly. This "purpleheart" stuff is a total mystery to me. I hear the >Wreck talk about it all the time, but have never seen it anywhere ever.

You have to sneak up on it when it's in the wild like that.

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:07:46 -0500, Tom Watson brought forth from the murky depths:

Well don't that beat all? Pre-stained jummywood.

Paintable wood, eh?

A sort of blue spalting?

I see that you have a new email address (since I can see it) so it's good to hear from you.

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

Nup. Let me reiterate the point. "I have never seen it anywhere ever." People 'round these parts have never even heard of it. "Purple what? Purple Heart? Yeah, Cleatus got three Purple Hearts in 'Nam. Now what wood was you askin' about?" (I actually know a guy named Cleatus.)

Edwin said something about Woodcraft. They put a new Woodcraft in the city about 30 miles from here, but I haven't been over there yet. I don't like to drive further than I can walk home because my car is a POS. Besides, they crapped all over Charlie Self, and that's reason enough not to bother doing business with them.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about it. Walnut is the most perfect, sublime wood in the world. You guys can have all that other fancy stuff. I was just responding to the notion that everybody's "local hardwood supplier" ought to have it. 'T ain't so, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Silvan

Also known as bluestain pine. Lots of it in British Columbia.

There was a guy selling it on eBay a few years back... I had a deal going with him to bring a trailer load of a couple of thousand BF here and he just dropped off the face of the planet. Dunno whether he ended up dead or in jail.

Too bad, he talked a great line and the bluestain is really pretty in the right application.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 05:39:09 GMT, "Kerry Montgomery" brought forth from the murky depths:

into the growing trees for later harvest, too. Go figure.

Have you thought of doing inlays/overlays in blue vs. using strangely colored wood? How about blue hardware instead?

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Here is an exerpt from the web site: "Only Denim Pine products guarantee they are environmentally friendly. These trees get their blue/grey colour before they die naturally in the forest. The colour does not affect the integrity or strength of the wood."

Does this mean that they "die naturally" because of the die? Here in So. California, we have a bark beetle that digs into pinon pines and causes the trees to die. In fact there are streaks of blue color left in the wood. Is this the self same process? Is this outfit the cause of decimated forests? Who can we sue?

just wondering, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I'm sure there are. Let's get a class action lawsuit going on behalf of all Wreckers. We'll each get $1.38 and the lawyers will collect $14.7 million.

Reply to
Silvan

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:14:13 GMT, jo4hn brought forth from the murky depths:

-kerrysnip-

No, the coloration appears to come during natural death, like corpses turning green after a few days.

That's not quite true. I read that the beetles infest dying trees only. I had these (or similar) critters in a Christmas tree I planted in my yard in Vista. I thought they killed it but found out that I hadn't watered it enough.

"Bark and Engraver Beetles, Wood Borers. Reports indicated that pine and fir mortality increased in 2001. The increase is primarily attributed to drought conditions returning during 2000 and 2001 and excessive stocking densities on many sites. Reports of all the major bark beetles increased with the exception of the Jeffrey pine beetle."

* Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy

  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:31:13 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

I got my 29 cents from one of the Microsoft Lawsuits.

  • Scattered Showers My Ass! * Insightful Advertising Copy
  • --Noah *
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:39:16 -0500, Silvan scribbled:

Hell, I can get it in the Yukon, no prob. See how deprived you are. I can easily get walnut too, in case you're wondering.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Oh well. I can buy denatured alcohol! So there!

Reply to
Silvan

I saw some here in Melbourne, Australia not three weeks ago, maybe your looking in the wrong places...

Reply to
Greg Millen