2x4's

What type of wood are the common *cheap* 2x4s cut from? Is this typically true for the other *cheap* 2x whatevers? John

Reply to
John DeBoo

all i've purchased has been Douglas Fir. Pretty cheap at HD.

Dave

Reply to
David

SPF, which stands for Spruce, Pine, Fir.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

depends where you are.

could be: spruce pine fir hemlock

ask the seller.

Reply to
bridger

Only if you're in the far NW...

Virtually all framing lumber these days is what is generically labelled as "SPF"--spruce/pine/fir and is an undifferentiated mixture of almost anything that has a limb large enough to make a tubaX out of...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

More than likely they won't know... :)

It'll almost certainly be "SPF"...an undifferentiated mix standing for spruce/pine/fir including all of the above and more. Many of the really cheap framing 2x4 now is even more generically labelled as "whitewood". About all that could be said for it is it is almost certainly a conifer of some sort.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Even cheaper is their "whitewood" 2x4's. Usually KD and much lighter than the green DF and not as strong. OTOH they're straighter and don't warp/bow/twist like GDF. "Whitewood" seems to be pine/spruce or whatever logs the mill had at the time; no one at HD could give me an answer.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Depends on where you live. Soft pine. Soft firs. Hemlock. Spruce. Doug Fir would be the strongest.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Reminds me of my engineering days where we would have specifications for some parts that called out for 1008 or 1010 steel. You might as well just say "steel", as anything that could be called steel fit the metallurgical requirements for 1010.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Downstate NY, cheap 2x4's are usually SPF. Larger 2x lumber on the cheap end is usually Hem-Fir (hemlock or fir, mostly hemlock). Home Depot was all DF for the larger 2x's last time I shopped. Lowe's started out with hemlock but may have upgraded recently.

Reply to
ATP*

I'm in the SW, Albuquerque to be exact. I would expect a little pitch or sap here and there like we had 10 years ago when they cost 99¢ but none that HD or Lowes are carrying have any, plus none of them have the odor of SPF, thats why I was wondering. There is virtually no odor to them at all, most are pretty light in weight and almost no knots & straight. Whats up with that? Quality lumber? I don't think so! John

Reply to
John DeBoo

I just checked the last stud I bought. It is from Stimpson and is marked KDHT. It ISN'T marked fir as those I've bought in the past.

Dave

Reply to
David

sounds like spruce.

Reply to
bridger

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:21:51 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Dave Balderstone quickly quoth:

And if you're a connoisseur, ask the lumber yard guy for Birdseye SPF. Gorgeous!

--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

--------------------------------------------------------------- -

Comprehensive Website Development -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

KDHT only means Kiln Dried Heat Treated (Heated to 56C for 30 minutes for sterilization).

Reply to
Odinn

Anyone remember those old HD commercials from years ago (when they were still trying to convince people they were a quality outlet) where their young recruits were put through grueling "boot camp" training and were shown being able to ID various lumber by size, type, and even area of origin by feel and smell? [wasn't believable then either, just even more ironic now]

Mark & Juanita

The only odor in our HD lumber aisles is that kind of sour, stale smell from the too-wet timber fermenting in its own juices. :-( [bleah!]

Mark & Juanita

That's the answer. Where you are sort of rules out certain woods, but you'll have to determine what you have on your own.

Here in the "uppa you ess" we have the white spruce (P glauca) and balsam fir (A balsamea) that is most abundant in boreal forests. Plantation pine runs to red (P resinosa) and jack (P banksiana), because they grow the fastest on decent soil - red- or lousy soil - jack.

The one thing you can use to determine if you have a pine or fir/spruce, is the color of the knots. Pine has darker knots than either spruce or fir. Beyond that, the characteristics of the wood are so similar that the grouping of SPF suits them all.

Reply to
George

Around here (mid Atlantic East coast USA) the cheapest is usually marked SPF which means it could be spruce, pine or fir, NOT Douglas fir, which is usually more costly and has its own stamp. 2nd cheapest is usually stamped HF which means it can be hemlock or fir (Again, not Douglas Fir)

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Ever notice the "grade stamp" and various other stamping ???

SPF is a "normal suspect" and that means:

Spruce,pine,fir (which means it "could" be any of those three) and is acceptable to be a building quality 2x4.

John DeBoo wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber