Resawing?

Page 1 of 2
What exactly DOES resawing mean? I always see this advertised for bandsaw blades, so it has me curious. ----- Tom Martinello -/- http://www.thegreatreddragon.zzn.com /
what does it sound like?
Ok, I'll tell you. Let's say you have a 1" thick piece of wood, but you need 1/2" thick wood. Rather than using a thickness planer and wasting half the stock, you can slice the wood in half (according to it's thickness) and end up with 2 pieces. There are a lot of neat things you can do with this, i.e. bookmatching.
Mike

Mike in Mystic wrote:

Hey don't be too hard on the guy. I did not know what it meant either (I don't think it's obvious), until I saw it explained to someone else.
--
gabriel

It sounds like you are sawing something again, after doing it once.
He asked an honest question, and guess what? At one time, you didn't know the answer either.
guys, guys! Mike took the time to answer the OP's question! Cut him some slack for his phrasing; I've not known him to be rude and I'd bet he didn't mean his question to come off as you thought. He is one of the most good-natured posters here.
dave
DarylRos wrote:

Mike asked a pertinent question in addressing the OP's query itself, the only snide content of which was in your and gabriel's mind. He then followed it up with a precise explanation which contributed to the OP's understanding, something which neither of you bothered to do.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Swingman wrote:

Ah, you're on them startass types... Always a smart answer, always an argument... So that's what the twit filter's for!
--
gabriel

Precisely ... go for it!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Swingman wrote:

Mike's question was not "pertinent", nor was it helpful. I would wager that Tom's lumber has been sawn three times (at least), in orthogonal planes, when he got it. In which case ripping and crosscutting could also be intrepreted as resawing. Further, gabriel's and DarlyRos's replies were to Mike, not to Tom.
Jay

"Jay Knepper" wrote in message

The question was indeed "pertinent", providing a much better understanding of the concept if you mentally answer the rhetorical question, and give it some thought.
If his following explanation was not "helpful", a dictionary would then be in order.

Exactly ... and they both took unnecessary exception to MIke's perfectly informative post.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04

That's not very nice. Lots of people, including myself, have had to inquire about its meaning here an in other forums. Once you find out what it means the name makes sense in retrospect, but without an explanation I don't think it's a self-evident phrase at all.
Don't look now, but Mike supplied the explanation. ALL you had to do was READ it! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/12/04
Mike in Mystic wrote:

Sawing wood.

No shit. I thought it meant something else.
Learn something every day.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
So far, the ONLY response that has been on topic is Mike's!
dave
Mark wrote:

The term resawing is vague and ambiguous. Hasn't most lumber we bring home been already sawed once or twice? I would think the action of cutting face grain using a bandsaw would have a more descriptive term, like we have for crosscutting and ripping.
When I first became interested in woodworking, the term resawing made no sense to me other then cutting the same piece of wood more then once, with any kind of saw. When I found out what it refers to, I thought it was pretty silly. So, is resawing the only term we have for cutting face grain? Enquiring minds want to know!
Leslie
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.

"Tom Martinello" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
relate rebel reward respect refrain regal report refuse resort replete etc.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
reminds me of Number Five (do you know from which movie?)
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

OH, OH, OH, I KNOW, I KNOW!!!!!!
Short circuit!!!
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
you win a kewpie doll! (bet I spelled kewpie incorrectly)