Resawing burl

Hey folks, first time posting here, appreciate any advice you can give. I've acquired a couple of pieces of oak burl, deadfall tree. It's been seasoning in my garage for 6 years or so (actually it's just been sittin there with me bein too afraid to do something stupid with it)

I'm thinking I'd like to use this burl as part of several door panels on a hutch but the things are not exactly flat, dimension type lumber. 2 Pieces measure roughly 5 feet long and 4 feet wide at the widest point, 12 inches or so at the narrowest, average thickness is little better than 3/4.

My Questions - Can this stuff be resawn? Lacking the equipment myself, would a mill or shop be willing to do it for me for a price? What kind of thickness could I expect to get from the process?

Last thing is, how stable will the panel be after resawing? Does burl move any more or any less than straight grain stuff?

Thanks in advance, and by the way, I've enjoyed reading this group, wish I had looked up a long time ago.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Considine

I have resawn dry maple burl to 1/2 inch thick and it was very stable.

I'm not sure where you could have it done. Do you have a friend with a bandsaw?

You can make sure great looking stuff with burl. Have fun!

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Start asking around to find someone with a BIG bandsaw and a thickness sander. I found a guy with a big Laguna bandsaw and I have the sander. With the right setup, it should be possible to get pieces

1/8" thick without undue waste. You can ask at work, church, bowling, or .... to see if someone knows someone who is a woodworker or knows of a shop that will deal with such things.

Woodchip

Reply to
Paul Andersen