Finishing - getting lots of brush strokes

Hi all...I am new to this group and also new to woodworking. I have done fairly well in my first few projects except for the finishing. I tend to get a lot of heavy brush strokes no matter what i try. I am using olympic polyuerethane. I have tried thinning it, dipping brush in thinner before starting, I have a fairly expensive brush....hell i have even tried brand new brushes, and i dont go over it with the brush.....i think i am using a thin enough coat........can anyone please help or does anyone know a website with good advice.....

Thanks in advance for any help Dave

Reply to
David Chanko

thin it enough to put it on with a rag. it just takes more coats, but you won't have brush marks. or do like i just did and by an HVLP. :)

dave

David Chanko wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Thanks good advice...........but what mixture is thin enough to put on with a rag TIA

Reply to
David Chanko

Reply to
SawEyes

50%.
Reply to
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

You can thin up to 20% without it running on a vertical side and it should not leave brush marks with a good china bristle brush. I use Zar, so do a test piece with your brand first.

When I first heard this I thought it was kind of extreme, but I was told that the finishes have less volatiles in them now to meet environmental regulations.

Reply to
Frank J. Vitale

Thin the polyurethane 10-25% with some odorless mineral spirits. I personally do not care for the smell of "odored" thinner. Use a foam brush. You can work the poly into a lather on the wood if you like. The key is to tip off the brushed poly before it starts "drying". Hold the brush at a 45 degree angle to the wood and gently drag it over the surface. About 99% of the bubbles and brush marks will disappear. The remaining will disappear as the coating levels. The extra solvent enables it to level better than straight out of the can. Any remaining bubbles should pop by themselves since you will have put down a less viscous coating than straight out of the can. You can use an expensive brush if it makes you happy but it is not necessary. Just work reasonable quickly and you should be fine.

Good Luck.

"David Chanko" wrote in message news:QdUAb.332582$275.1107246@attbi_s53...

Reply to
Baron

Thin w/ mineral spirits or turps and add some Penetrol. Reexamine your brushing technique. Lightly sand w/ hardbacked sanding block between coats.

Reply to
Eric Ryder