repairing old veneer

I have one book which advises me to use heat to reset the glue on original pieces of veneer that have fallen off a ~46 year old piece. Specifically it suggests using an iron with some blotter paper between the iron and the veneer.
Has anybody ever tried this? Any advice on this or alternative methods is appreciated.
TIA, Dean
Dean H. wrote:

The "trick" relies on the veneer being bonded w/ hide glue which can sometimes be reactivated w/ heat. All you can find out is that it doesn't work or that it is nonuniform in working (my usual result :( )
Alternative is new glue. W/ the piece entirely off it's easier than if it is a corner to get a clean surface.
At <50 yrs, it's not yet truly an antique, and has high probability of being factory manufactured piece and the glue may not have been hide but a two-part. In that case, the heat won't touch it and you'll have to clean the surface and start anew.