Repairing mistake

I sanded through the vainer on an interior door I was refinishing. The underlying layer of wood has a very different grain and color than the vainer that was on top and is very noticeable. The top vainer is probably luan. I have no idea what the interior of the plywood is. How can I correct this mistake so that at least the color is the same and the grain of the wood is not so noticeably different.

Reply to
Joe Nation

The two way I can think of are: 1. Replace the door. 2. Paint.

Nova

I usually use Transtint dyes for this with an acid brush. As the alcohol flashes it thickens and you can grain it a bit. If it looks like crap, wash it off with the alcohol and try, try again.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

paint

Reply to
fsteddie

If it's a hollow core luan interior door I'd be inclined to buy a new door slab.... IMO they are so inexpensive it isn't worth trying to fix them.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Depends on how much work you want to put into it.

Of course it is difficult to tell just what has to be done without seeing the problem but off hand the biggest problem could be matching the grain since the grain of the layer under the veneer will probably run cross grain to that of the veneer.

In any case, if your willing and have the time to do some experimenting you can spray the offending area with some lacquer. For this type of thing I'd use Deft in a spray can. Lowes, HD, Ace Hardware. Get a couple of thin coats on.

Now, see if you can find some oil paint that matches the grain color of the veneer and get a couple of artist brushes. Also, if you are lucky you will find a spray can of Min Wax stain and wood sealer with a color reasonably close to that of the of the base color veneer. If not you'll have to make up a wash of a suitable stain and finish.

Assuming you actually did find a spray can of the Min Wax with the proper color apply light coats to the spot, feathering it towards the edges. It is important it is the Min Wax Stain and Wood sealer. That contains a fixer that will hold the stain in place. If you screw it up, just wipe the stain off before it sets and try again. When you get it right let it dry.

Now, using a thin brush paint on some grain lines then feather them out to a natural look with a wide dry brush.

Then again you could just paint it.

As an aside, using a card or cabinet scraper would have lessened your chance of going through the veneer to start with.

.
Reply to
Mike G

PUT A NEW DOOR SKIN OVER IT.....THE WHOLE FACE..

Reply to
FEngelman

Put in a decorative inlay to make it look like you meant it.

Reply to
David Hall

You people are far too permissive,here is to the gentle of heart....mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

Shellac sticks - range of colors - melt with alcohol lamp, not lighter or candle. Heat small metal spatula and smooth it out a bit then sand. Use artist paints and fine brush to add grain and refinish.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b