removing finish

Hi, I'm new to this group and have a question. I am building a workbench and plan to use a piece of bowling lane for the top. I want to remove the old finish (some kind of eurythane?) without causing the glue on the boards to come loose. Any suggestions? I don't know what kind of glue was used to glue the boards together. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rick Spivey

For something like this I usually pop a blade out of one of my hand planes and use it as a scraper.

Nova

I did exactly that for a friend. The laminations appeared to be glued together using yellow carpenters glue - Titebond or somesuch. I used a normal paint stripper to strip the finish without any problems.

My big problems came when I had to rip the lane lengthwise to give a reasonable working width - it would have been far too wide otherwise. As well as being glued, each lamination was nailed about every 15" or so during assembly, so there were dozens of nails in it. I ended up using a 7" hand circular saw, buying a cheap TCT blade specifically for the the job. By the time I'd ripped the board (much graunching and many sparks!) 3/4 of the TC inserts had been torn from the blade.

I finished it with a few coats of Danish oil. This gives very little protection to the bench, but it'll be very easy to scrape the top and re-oil should my friend ever see the need to do so.

I have to say that it makes a great bench top - it's perfectly flat and very heavy.

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Ditto, unless it would fit though my thickness planer.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Thanks all. My bench will be mobile, so I will use the whole width of the lane (wayyyy too big for the planer). got most of the work done on the base, just need to finish a few things and then put the top on.

Reply to
Rick Spivey