<< What do I need and what do I have to do to accomplish this? >>
1) Rent the appropriate scaffolding.
2) Determine which breaker in your service panel controls the fixture and turn
it off. Use ducttape or something like that on the breaker to keep someone from
turning it back on before you're ready.
3) Put on a 20 lb. tool belt with one of everything that Klein Tools makes (and
any competent electrician will own).
4) Shinny up the scaffolding and take things apart, putting the pieces in a
trash bag you brought along.
5) Replace the fixture box with a dedicated fan/chandelier hanging box like
6) Hang fixture. Turn on breaker. Admire lovely new addition.
7) Celebrate with beverage of choice accepting compliments from your
companion/wife/houseguest (aren't we really PC here?).
Shouldn't be all that hard using the right tools and common sense. Good luck
and post positive results to NG.