regarding German Glue post-

Hi- I'm a plane freak, and a friend of mine that's on this group asked me for some details on the plane that that post talked about- The plane they are talking about was the Focke-Wulf Ta-154 Moskito. The glue that was used in the prototypes was called Tegofilm. It was made in a factory near Wuppertal that was bombed. The next two aircraft off the line that were to be the first real production aircraft uere made with a cold curing adhesive that ate into the wood. One of the A-1 initial production series aircraft crashed when the wing failed in flight. My source on this is Warplanes of the Luftwaffe, edited by David Donald, Aerospace Publishing, 1994. Here's a link to some pictures- http://www.luftwaffepics.com/lta1541.htm BTW, the British airplane they are talking about, the DeHavilland Mosquito, had similar problems when sent to the China-Burma-India theater with humidity attacking the glue joints in the all-wood structure.
--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms, CA USA
Jim Atkins wrote:

At one point Geoffrey deHavilland grounded a bunch of those with a handsaw. I don't recall what they did about it but they did come up with an improved adhesive. That might have been when they started using Aerolite.

--
--John