Refinishing hollow interior doors

I sanded this hollow door and I am putting clear polyurethane on, as the stain on them was very dark. I have 2 spots on one side (see picture) I'm not looking for perfect but how can I make it so there not so obvious

Reply to
JMC

Can't see the piictures - so unable to give much more help - but if spots are light you COULD darken them with stain to match. If the spots are dark you may be able to make the rest of the door match by staining the rest of the door darker. Using a "toner" instead of a penetrating stain allows you to build colour little at a time (something like polyshades). I blended old and new trim, and even mahogany and oak to match when I installed the new oak stair railing on our main staircase using a "mission oak" polyshade product on the oak and "honey oak" on the previously stained mahogany (had a fruitwood oil stain applied 30 years ago with no "varnish" over the stain)

Reply to
clare

I finally got the picture to upload see above, I was going to try and see if I can match the color to a stain what I am worried about is because the grain in the wood is going the opposite direction. So before staining I was wondering if there is something else I should do first. Other side of door is fine this side has two one at top and one at bottom of door. [IMG]

JMC

Short of having someone paint the grain pattern on those areas before applying the clear finish there isn't much you can do... this as you've sanded through the veneer. The alternatives would be to paint the entire side of the door with an opaque paint or stain, or, replace the door slab.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

JMC wrote in news:2a812$561d42e1$cf3aab60$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com:

As John G said, you have sanded thru the top layer of veneer, and exposed the inner layer (which is a softer, lighter colored wood with the grain going at right angles).

Your choices are pretty much:

1) replace the entire door. 2) buy a new doorskin and glue it over the damaged one. 3) stain the damaged area the same color as the door, and paint in grain lines to look like the adjacent surface. 4) stain the damaged area and the surrounding area a darker color (the eye picks out light areas as "different" more easily than dark areas). 5) paint the door.

At one time Home Depot stocked door skins, but now they seem to be a special order thing.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I didn't mention that as they don't seem to be available anymore. At least they aren't from any of the vendors in my area and thus I figured the problem exists elsewhere. I checked the 2 big box stores as well as 3 other builder suppliers that cater primarily to the tradesmen... That said, I'm not sure if the lack of availability is a clerk problem or reality as in every case they said they'd never heard of such a thing!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

They are inexpensive. ....

Reply to
Sonny

You are screwed. You sanded through the very thin top layer of the plywood. Now it is fill, sand and paint, or replace the door.

Reply to
clare

Scott Lurndal

snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:UksTx.17669$ snipped-for-privacy@fx08.iad:

At $80/ea for that one, I think I'd rather replace the door...

John

Reply to
John McCoy

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Yeah, which is a shame. Cheap 1/8th luaun plywood is kind of a handy thing for templates and the like.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

You have to know what to look for. I don't know of anyone that stocks door skins anymore. The last time I resurfaced a door, I actually did find wha t I wanted at HD.

It's just 1/8" plywood.

Glued it to the door, and trimmed it with a flush cut/pattern cutting bit i n the router. They had plenty of them at one location in town, and none at the others, so if that might be the case, call before you go or look it up online. IME, HD has about a 95% accuracy rate of their inventory when you check a store online, but the best part is that you don't have to look for the product as the online inventory will tell you which isle and bin the p roduct is in, so no walking around the store.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Thanks for all your help, I think I am going to try and match color and see how it looks, if I'm not happy I guess it is off to buy a door.

Reply to
JMC

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

"This item is not available in any stores within 100 miles of 33304."

(you also apparently have to know the SKU to see it on the website, since it doesn't show up either by drilling down in "plywood", or by searching on "utility panel").

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Brookside Veneers in New Jersey still makes them I'm sure there are other suppliers. Try a REAL lumber yard or trim shop, if any have survived the invasion of the BORG.

Reply to
clare

HD doesn't work in my area... "This item is not available in any stores within 100 miles of [my zip code]"

I can get luan plywood locally from sources other than HD and Lowes but it's crap... typically has large areas of filler and ugly dark streaks that show up under clear finishes. Fine for cabinet backs and other utility use but not so good for "in your face" use!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Look in the phone book under "plywood" or "hardwood" or google "Fort Lauderdale Plywood". You'll find a variety of sources including at least one that will veneer a customer-supplied door to order.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Wednesday, October 14, 2015 at 10:03:49 PM UTC-5, John Grossbohlin wrote :

I feel special. My local HD has something like 50 sheets at one store. Wi th something like 12 stores here in San Antonio, still, only one carries th at stuff. It is a three layer ply, on layer of Luan, a middle layer of who knows what, and a finish side of some kind of pretty clear white wood. It isn't birch, and it isn't a hardwood veneer, but something snow white and clear. Paints nicely, but like a most softwoods it probably doesn't stain well.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Clear luan stains pretty good.