interior doors

Replacing interior junk luan hollow doors starting with newly renovated bathroom...Replacing all as I renovate...Was wondering about Pre Primed Masonite Composit Hollow Core doors..Anyone used them ?? Pros and cons ?? They supposedly don't shrink , swell ,warp or crack with the seasons like the solid wood doors...Here in coastal Maine there are DEFINITE DRASTIC changes in the seasons..LOL...Thanks...

Reply to
benick

A friend of mine has them in his house, built about 25 years ago. They still look gook. I'd use them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Personally, I dont see much difference between a door skinned with masonite and one skinned with luaun. Both are light weight, both serve their purpose. The biggest difference AFAICT is that the Masonite ones often have a pressed in pattern to simulate wood and/or panel construction. That turns me off, just my opinion.

We have considerable fluctuation of humidity here in central Florida. Temperature too but not to the degree that you do. The solid butternut frame & panel doors I made a decade or so ago *do* respond to the humidity changes but not to the point of being a problem to close, just one or two that drag slightly on the floor in the winter. I don't like doors with a large gap between bottom and floor and made mine with a gap of about 1/8 -

1/16; too tight, someday I'll shave the miscreants.

If a solid door cracks it is because it was improperly made.

And why do people knock luaun (Phillipine mahogany)? It is a decent utility wood and some species can be quite attractive, wish it was available where I am.

Reply to
dadiOH

benick wrote the following:

I replaced all the luan doors in my house with the masonite raised panel doors some (10?) years ago..They all close correctly, Summer or Winter.

Reply to
willshak

We just built a new house with solid Masonite wood grained panel doors. The only problem is that if you have to remove them, they are very heavy. But, they close and feel very solid. The last house had the luan hollow doors. After 35+ years in the old house, we got used to them, but these are nicer.

Reply to
Art Todesco

That's what we are looking at..6 panel masonite...It will be what we get..Nothing against the luan doors we have but they are 50 years old and look it and we want raised panel doors..I have been in many high end homes with expensive solid wood doors and they all seem to have paint cracks around the panels , close hard , ect...Especially solid wood entry doors but that is a subject for another thread...LOL..Thanks for all the feedback...Merry Christmas everyone...

Reply to
benick