Re: Woodsmith scammers

I renew my commitment every year. I only had to commit for 12 months and ultimately am paying less. I went from $24.95 for reg DSL to $29.95 for DSL Pro last year. Today I got DSL Pro for $19.95 for 12 months. Had they been smart they would have simply continued billing me for the $29.95.
Leon wrote:

gets a percentage of it. Continued billing would only profit the company. Go figure. Joe

No one called. They just sent a tacky letter indicating my service was going to go up 33% with no reference of how to contact any one. I had to go through their stupid automated service to get to a human and then they offered the deal.

The most disillusioning renewal offer I got was from Consumers Reports... had a subscription to their online service for awhile...
I clicked on "cancel my subscription" and got an offer of an even better rate...

What happened the second time you clicked 'cancel', did they make a better offer?
On the same note, I just got a renewal notice for ShopNotes. 2 years for $39.90.
The web site lists 2 years at $34.
To be honest, the notice included a bonus - Index for issues 1-84. The web site includes a bonus of "The Complete Small Shop"
But this does tick me off. I've been a charter subscriber of ShopNotes, and a subscriber of WoodSmith since volume 3.
Apparently being a charter member means they can charge you more.
I have found that I'm better off ($$) just purchasing magazines from a near by newsstand than I am subscribing. Reason being that more often than not a specific magazine doesn't have anything of interest to me but maybe once or twice out of a 12 month period. This way I can see what's in all the publications, not just one or two. RM~
PS, I do have a well stocked home owned newsstand within 2 miles of the house and probably don't buy more than two mags a month and I have several hobbies that have magazines of interest from time to time.
On 30 Mar 2006 13:31:16 GMT, Bruce Barnett

Subscriber since Issue number ONE... (the 3 or 4 page 1st issue..lol)
I have also beend a shopnotes subscriber from the get go although I really can't say too much for it.
Never thru out a singel issue BUT also never stored them in a way that I could find a "specific" issue...without sopending a couple of days looking...
As for the Price...I really have no idea of what I paid...all I can say is when its cold and misserable outside and I want to relax just picking up an old issue usually can get me " into a project" and allows me to loose myself in the shop and forget about the weather, the wife, the bills, etc...
Over the last 40 or so years Woodsmith has earned its place in my shop. garage, and TV room... The wife keeps them out of the Bathroom
Bob G.