Re: Rhapsody In BLO

<snip>
Whilst you're making samples, see if you can score a little can of Tried & True, and see how you like that. It seems a little warmer, and somewhat friendlier, than hardware store BLO. C Becksvoort, Shaker furniture expert, recommends it highly, and alledgedly uses it on all his cherry.
Looks pretty good on the replica clock I made from his (and Benjamin Young's) plans. (Gotta put the movement in that thing someday soon.)
Not everything needs shellac.
Patriarch
Patriarch:
Patriarch wrote:

T&T -- Have you tried it on red oak?
Hopefully finishing the project from H*** today and will finish it in that I think.
I can try a small sample here -- but that does not always tell the tale...
T&T -- Have you tried it on red oak?
Hopefully finishing the project from H*** today and will finish it in that I think.
I can try a small sample here -- but that does not always tell the tale...
Used the T & T varnish oil and it worked well.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks as noted below will try it on oak...

Works just fine. What you want to do next will determine which product you use, as will the project you're doing.
I've used the Original, which has beeswax in the formula, where the lower gloss contributes to a softer-looking, and likely somewhat less durable, finish. The Varnish Oil gives a satin sheen, and seems, at least, to offer a bit more durability.
If the project expects to see harder use, Waterlox becomes an option.
And for the (first) quilt rack I made for my wife, I used shellac over the varnish oil, for the sake of the quilt.
Regarding T&T: Warm up the shop. Warm up the work piece. Warm the oil safely. This is not a product to be used cold. And be prepared to wipe the surface all day, to deal with the ooze-out that red oak always brings to the party. The nice thing about this oil is that the fragrance is pleasant. When I bring projects inside to cure, my wife always notices, but doesn't complain. And they will take days to cure, this time of year.
Good luck with the project. Sorry it has turned on you.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Patriarch:
Thanks for the info -- especially about all the bleed-out - I will watch it carefully over today (or tomorrow).
Maybe I will even wait till tomorrow -- supposed to be warmer. Then I can open the shop while I apply and then let it cure for a few days. Will check weather first -- spring is here only in theory in Southern Ontario.
Warming the T&T can in the sink with some hot water maybe... that should be safe.
The project looks great now -- it was just a test of faith I think. LOL (It looks great despite all my efforts LOL)
Never liked oak as much as maple or walnut before. Now I think I like it -- despite the difficulty of turning some parts. Find myself stroking the legs -- probably a bad habit that was picked up elsewhere...

And while you're at it, try some Flood's Penetrol...straight from the can. (Triple-boiled, very pure) It might be a little too 'techie' for the hairy fore-arms and sloped foreheads, but damn, is it durable.
Patriarch wrote:

Tried and True + Cherry is just plain magic. After a year or two, it becomes unbelievably beautiful. One of the most beautiful combinations out there, IMO.
PK
I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with bastard. Best way to finish the finish is with a topcoat of poly... four is better.
O'Deen

I'm printing this one out and hanging it on the wall of the shop.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:36:55 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson

Nobody'll EVER believe it.
======================================================= Was that an African + http://www.diversify.com or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications =======================================================