Re: Rhapsody In BLO

Tom Watson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In a previous thread I talked about a highboy that I am getting ready > to build. > > In that thread I said that I would use a toner to unify the cherry and > to give it a push to its ultimate color. > > Well, having spent this evening on various finish samples - I've > changed my mind. >

Whilst you're making samples, see if you can score a little can of Tried & True, and see how you like that. It seems a little warmer, and somewhat friendlier, than hardware store BLO. C Becksvoort, Shaker furniture expert, recommends it highly, and alledgedly uses it on all his cherry.

Looks pretty good on the replica clock I made from his (and Benjamin Young's) plans. (Gotta put the movement in that thing someday soon.)

Not everything needs shellac.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch:

Patriarch wrote:

T&T -- Have you tried it on red oak?

Hopefully finishing the project from H*** today and will finish it in=20 that I think.

I can try a small sample here -- but that does not always tell the tale..= =2E

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Hopefully finishing the project from H*** today and will finish it in that I think.

I can try a small sample here -- but that does not always tell the tale...

Used the T & T varnish oil and it worked well.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

And while you're at it, try some Flood's Penetrol...straight from the can. (Triple-boiled, very pure) It might be a little too 'techie' for the hairy fore-arms and sloped foreheads, but damn, is it durable.

Reply to
Robatoy

WillR wrote in news:WvX_d.32791$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Works just fine. What you want to do next will determine which product you use, as will the project you're doing.

I've used the Original, which has beeswax in the formula, where the lower gloss contributes to a softer-looking, and likely somewhat less durable, finish. The Varnish Oil gives a satin sheen, and seems, at least, to offer a bit more durability.

If the project expects to see harder use, Waterlox becomes an option.

And for the (first) quilt rack I made for my wife, I used shellac over the varnish oil, for the sake of the quilt.

Regarding T&T: Warm up the shop. Warm up the work piece. Warm the oil safely. This is not a product to be used cold. And be prepared to wipe the surface all day, to deal with the ooze-out that red oak always brings to the party. The nice thing about this oil is that the fragrance is pleasant. When I bring projects inside to cure, my wife always notices, but doesn't complain. And they will take days to cure, this time of year.

Good luck with the project. Sorry it has turned on you.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Tried and True + Cherry is just plain magic. After a year or two, it becomes unbelievably beautiful. One of the most beautiful combinations out there, IMO.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with bastard. Best way to finish the finish is with a topcoat of poly... four is better.

O'Deen

Reply to
Odeen

I'm printing this one out and hanging it on the wall of the shop.

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

(webpage)

Reply to
Tom Watson

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 06:36:55 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson spake:

Nobody'll EVER believe it.

======================================================== Was that an African +

or European Swallow? + Gourmet Web Applications ========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Patriarch:

Thanks for the info -- especially about all the bleed-out - I will watch =

it carefully over today (or tomorrow).

Maybe I will even wait till tomorrow -- supposed to be warmer. Then I=20 can open the shop while I apply and then let it cure for a few days.=20 Will check weather first -- spring is here only in theory in Southern=20 Ontario.

Warming the T&T can in the sink with some hot water maybe... that should =

be safe.

The project looks great now -- it was just a test of faith I think.=20 LOL (It looks great despite all my efforts LOL)

Never liked oak as much as maple or walnut before. Now I think I like it =

-- despite the difficulty of turning some parts. Find myself stroking=20 the legs -- probably a bad habit that was picked up elsewhere...

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

Thanks as noted below will try it on oak...