Stanley 271

I stand corrected again...

Here's an unused Stanley 271 on eBay. With Photos

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

They're still maken'um, snag a gander:

they recently changed the site to include planes that were not being shown previously. I've yet to see much of them in stores anywhere. She's selling a current 271, boxes are the same too.

Reply to
AAvK

I don't think you are going to be seeing them in stores either.

They're still listed on the Stanley Tools site but there is no "buy it here" button on the pages for the 271 or the 71. Called their 800 number and they told me they could not tell me who sells them. Then found a note on Amazon.com that said Stanley has discontinued the 71 and the St James Bay Tool Company bought the last lot. Sent an email to Stanley asking if they had disconintued the 71 and 271--no reply.

I just got off the phone with the guy at St James Bay, he said Stanley made their last router planes about two years ago, he bought the last lot and sold them all. St James Bay makes four router planes now, the three listed on the website,

and he just started making his 271 copy. The big one looks like a 71 1/2.

He has depth stops, depth shoes and fences for the 71s but no cutters right now. As far as he knows, he is now the only person in the world who makes router planes.

Reply to
fredfighter
[...]

[...]

No: Check

plane down the page is a router plane (which I even saw recently in a shop).

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

recently

So, are you going to call St James Bay to give them the bad news, or shall I?

Reply to
fredfighter

That's interesting because a whole lot of those planes listed on the Stanley site did not used to be there, those listings are really recent. Also if you look at their current .pdf parts catalog, you can see everything there is to make up a whole new 71 router, costs $103 - $110 or so, if I remember correctly. They have all 3 blades as well. Unless of course they are not updating the catalog, part of the .pdf file name is "0304"... should mean month and year.

Reply to
AAvK