Re: RESULT: rec.woodworking.all-ages passes 283:93

Page 1 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@netagw.com (Bill Aten) wrote in

Damn. It passed. I'm in shock.
--
Bill

Interesting perusing the list of those voting for it -- Man in the Doorway?
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:18:22 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Charlie Delf? <G>
Barry
    Greetings and Salutations...
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:18:22 -0700, Mark & Juanita

    Well, there are something like 80,000 newgroups in Usenet... and I don't see why having one more will make any serious difference. Also, it is a pretty impressively small number of folks that can create one. Consider that there are thousands (if not tens of thousands) of people that read THIS newsgroup around the world...yet only 373 cared enough to vote yea or nay on this one. Remember...simply adding another group to post to does NOT mean that rec.woodworking is going to be canceled and vanish.     In any case, the bottom line is that those folks that find this too difficult a forum to deal with now have another place to go. I will be interested to see if there is any traffic there at all. I have tested the waters in a number of Ford-related groups, and, found that in many, the only folks that post there are the spammers that hit ALL the groups. So...post and read there if you want to... or not...if you don't.
    Regards     Dave Mundt

We may never know. Voters are only expected to read the group..not necessarily to post to it.
--
Bill

I'm not. The current voting process is a sham.
I can write a script that will cast 500 yes, and 500 no votes for every CFV posted from legitimate email address (in that the ACK won't bounce). They will all be real votes under the current system.
It's very tempting.

And we all look forward to their first post.
The voting procedure for new groups is a farce. Once you accept that, it all comes into a meaningless focus.
I really wish Vido had the balls to stick with the moderated proposal. But he wussed out, like so many cowards... unable to defend what he thought he believed in. Now he can live with his choice.

Absolutely. Since usenet is not a centralized database, there is no governing body, just self-appointed gods, [snicker]. It's quite funny.
April 1st late this year?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

They won't, it'll just noise up the namespace and confuse people looking for discussion. Ah well.
berlin.de:

Now they're planning to propose more new woodworking groups, and a reorganization of rec.woodworking.
--
Bill

And given the farce that the voting procedure has been allowed to deteriorate to, they'll quite possibly succeed.
Pity.

The system hasn't changed much in 15 years or so, with the exception of banning the changing of groups from unmoderated to moderated.
--
Bill

That's quite apparent.

You're an *official* news.groupie now, Dave. (IIRC you called yourself a "junior" member or something like that) They are generally a good group of people, but they're very opposed to any kind of changes to the current system. Both of us have made some very constructive suggestions in recent weeks, and almost nothing has come of it.
--
Bill

You're quite wrong. I've come to the conclusion that news.groups is a complete waste of bandwidth.
I don't mean to patronize you. I kinda wish you'd stick around a bit longer and help fix things down there.
--
Bill

I've never thought you were patronizing, Bill. Certainly not in this thread.

I simply don't believe that things will be fixed, regardless of who participates in the discussion.
Given what's considered to be a valid vote, I think it's hopeless.
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:43:47 -0600, Dave Balderstone

You should see the antics of UK Control
The Parish Council, run riot....

At least the UK hierarchy has a verifiable vote-ack system to prevent forgeries of e-mail addresses. The Big-8 needs this..like YESTERDAY.
--
Bill