vinegar weed killer- result

I said I would try it and post back...

For the test I used a pint of white vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect at all on the woodier weeds. It has been constant heat and sun for the past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if that might have made any difference.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't have any big weeds to try it on. It did not work on blades of grass though. No rain.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Sounds like it would have been more useful on fish and chips!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Put it in a red can, attach a spray gun and sell it to B&Q as "Weedol Rootkill" at a tenner a pop, it sounds about as effective.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

..of course use of unapproved substances in the garden is an offence :-)

from HSE

"Approvals for Pesticides in the UK

The law requires that only plant protection products authorised by Ministers shall be sold, supplied, used, stored or advertised."

But then I guess no-one has paid for dihydrogen monoxide to be approved for use in the garden.

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

Maybe safe from jail time for the moment, see

:-)

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

Battery acid (i.e. conc. sulphuric acid) is very effective at burning off top growth. Farmers regularly use it on potato crops to burn off the foliage and prevent the transmission of blight down to the tubers, which can then be left in the soil until the farmer is ready to lift them. Cheaper than most of the other defoliants, but won't deal with deep-rooted weeds such as dandelions or docks; they'll just re-sprout.

Brick acid might be effective on shallow-rooted weeds, but not as good as the above.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Why anyone would expect that to work is beyond me. The salt may do some damage, but it will also damage your soil to a greater extent than any commercial weedkiller. Another case of an idiot who knows no chemistry whatsoever pissing about with two chemicals he doesn't understand.

Still, it's all a big consipracy that agrochemical companies employ people who know what they are doing.

Reply to
Steve Firth

e vinegar + a teaspoon of salt, in a small spray bottle. It sort of worked on the lighter weeds after two days, killing the leaves, but not the stem. It had no noticeabel effect at all on the woodier weeds. It has been consta nt heat and sun for the past week since applying, until a light rain shower this morning - if that might have made any difference. -- Regards, Harry ( M1BYT) (L)

Try adding a bit of DX grease

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Is this effective against all types of weed? I feel that wee need to know more after seeing the cost.

Reply to
Bill

Oddly enough workmen's piss does kill grass:-).

The place I am working at has no toilet. It does however have 4.3 acres of garden. But the only place you can have a piss in private is behind the summerhouse (I suppose you could walk to behind the stables if you fancied the long walk). The grass behind the summerhouse is as dead as the foliage around a Napalmed Vietnamese village. Possibly worse chemicals were used by us than the US.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Chris Hogg writes

Said to seriously annoy ladies crossing such fields wearing nylon stockings.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Dog piss is more effective, Dalmatian piss more so.

Well the greens claim you can find glyphosate herbicide in the urine of everyone in Britain, maybe that's it? I mean the greens wouldn't tell lies, would they?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Weed killer - salt & vinegar. One is designed for use on chips, one is designed to kill weeds.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Really? Now that kind of turns on its head the principle of English law which is generally that everything is ok unless it's specifically outlawed. I really dislike these pieces of catch-all legislation, dreamed up by busybodies in government cupboards. Getting very European, if you ask me.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

For many years we have wiped down the window surrounds on a boat as an annu al treatment before we lay it up for the winter. It is very effective at ke eping moss growth at bay. (I'm calling it moss as that's what it looks like to me, could be elephant grass for all I know.)

Reply to
fred

ISTR that nettles flourish with a regular pissing - it's a sure sign of prolonged human activity in an area.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Wild toimato plants are another good indication. Tomato seeds pass through the human gut quite unaffected.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

:-)