Radon test result

My test result have come and the levels are 320 Boquerels?? which is above the action level of 200. A few pamphlets came with the test results suggesting various remedies. Has anyone had similar problems and would like to share their experience so I can take a more educated judgment/action. Thanks Tom
Bequerels; I suspect this will be 320 Bequerels per cubic metre, meaning that each cubic metre of air contains 320 radon atoms decaying per second. (In general 1 Bequerel just means a quantity of any radioactive material in which one atom decays per second).
Others will advise you on action, but I'd comment that it's not very much above the action limit. There's a tendency for people to regard government "limits" for all sorts of pollutents as "danger limits", e.g. 199 is "safe" and 201 is an immediate threat to life and limb. In fact the limits are usually levels where the risk is very small compared to other natural risks.
Tom wrote:

Very easy to bring the level down (if you feel this is necessary; but that's a different story) by increasing the ventilation. What are the current ventilaltion arrangements for each room?
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Normal BCO resolution in cases like this is to insist on suspended floors with underfloor vents I believe.
Its a bit of a pain to mod an existing house.
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 01:00:52 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I guess most comes up from the ground, but what about walls made of that nice cornish granite? Ventilation is the way to deal with it though.
Maybe we need more info from the OP. Type/age of house, floor construction, recently fitted DG'ing etc. I'd have thought any moderately recent place with a solid floor would have a plastic DPM these days. Can Radon get through plastic DPM?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

The reason suspended floors with a 'sump' arrangement work is because radon is very heavy, and will collect at the lowest point - even if it is coming from the walls.

Agreed - far more practical to install in an existing house.

Only to a small degree.
--
Grunff

Grunff wrote:

Ah. I hadn't thought that through. It has to be heavy, being radioactive...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Eh?
snipped-for-privacy@thai.com says...

It's usually large atoms that are unstable.
Rob Morley wrote:

Its ALWAYS large atoms that are unstable.
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:05:00 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Make your mind up or have you just decayed a bit?

<snip>

--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

?? what about tritium and deuterium - cant get much 'lighter' / 'smaller' than that - both are radioactive, /+geek more to the point its the ratio of protons to neutrons in the nucleus that is the main reason for explaining radioactivity - but not the only reason /-geek
(.(*. .*).) <.. NIK ..> (.(.* *.).)
NikV wrote:

Deuterium is NOT radioactive.
--
Grunff

true - must engage brain before fingers BG
Chris Bacon wrote:

Radioactive nuclei are radioactive because they are effing big and disintegrate.
All radioactive elements are HEAVY.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

<ahem>
Tritium?
--
Grunff

Radon is a naturally occuring gas (the heaviest) and is inert Tritium is a naturally occuring isotope of hydrogen and is not inert - it will readily combine with oxygen to form a liquid
Regards Jeff
Jeff wrote:

And?
--
Grunff

it
so imho its not a very good comparison as radon is a noble gas and tritium is a transitional isotope that will mainly be found as a liquid
Regards Jeff
Jeff wrote:

I don't follow - and I'm not just being difficult - I genuinely don't understand your argument. I'm not sure what point you are arguing against.
--
Grunff