Re: Question on staining oak

I have completed my experiments. As dadiOH predicted, there was no difference between the sample I did with a grain filler mixed with stain followed by light sanding/more stain and the sample where I applied shellac over the grain filler/stain mix followed by sanding of the shellac/more stain. Thanks to all of you I think I have a good workable system for finishing oak though I did learn one other useful thing with these experiments and all of your help. When I did a sample where the oak veneer on the plywood had the strong V pattern you get from plain sawn boards (versus the veneer from quarter sawn boads), the open grain in the V was too dark. If I get this kind of oak plywood in the future, I will mix less stain in with my grain filler to minimize the dark color in those large pores. Then when I sand and apply more stain, I will get a more even coloring of the wood. .
Dick Snyder wrote:

Huzzah!!
Or, you could put on a coat of shellac first of all, sand it off leaving it in the pores so they won't absorb as much then add your filler and "normal" stain. No, I don't own a shellac factory :)
--

dadiOH

Another good idea. Thanks. I have written on this down for future projects. I think I like the shellac idea better than the pumice though I haven't worked with pumice so that may be fine too.