Nail hole filler-before or after staining?

They just finished installing the wood trim on our addition and we're going to stain it ourselves. When do I fill the nail holes, before or after staining? Any tips from the experts would be appreciated we're novices.

Thanks!

Reply to
ok

Art Todesco

Depends on the type of wood, trim nails, power nailer or hand nailed, predrilled, etc. Most people would fill the holes, allow a decent cure time, then stain. If the holes have a bit of wood fuzz around the edges, the stain can accentuate it and look amateurish. A bit of experimentation on some scrap material would be best to get the results you want. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

After staining a scrap of trim go to the paint store to get one or several shades of Color Putty to match your colors. Install after installation of stained trim, but prior to varnish/urethane/lacquer.

See here:

DanG

I like to take some sawdust from the wood trim and mix it with a little wood glue and fill the holes with it. After sanding it smooth, it takes almost the same stain as the wood.

Reply to
PJx

that is how my Dad who did furniture upholstery for over 30 years it works very well

Wayne

Reply to
wayne