Re: porter cable 7216 question

Do you think maybe that is a 1/4" wide spacing rather than 1/4" thick material?
through or blind?
I don't see any reason you couldn't do 1/4" through.
Blind would be difficult because the bit cuts that deep. If you got a wider bit (18 degrees?) you probably could do 1/4", though it would be a pretty shaky joint until the glue dried.
Maybe he meant 1/4" spacing... I got the impression he was talking thickness of the stock.
toller wrote:

Yes I was talking about stock thickness. The manual for the 5116 states it can handle 5/16 to 1 inch thick but the sales lit states 1/2 inch to 1 inch. I can not find a manual for the 7216 on Porter cables web site. I have looked at the manual for the 7116 which states the 7116 can handle 5/16 to 1 inch thick stock but there again the sales lit states 1/2 inch. I called Porter cable and was told the 7216 min thick is 1/2 inch. If that's true Leigh here I come. I have a friend who is going to a show Friday and he said he would ask the PC people about this.
I know next to nothing about dovetail making. My phlosphy is to buy the best I can afford. I like the weight of the tool, 60 lbs but if the minimum thickness is 1/2 then I won't buy the tool.