Re: Pay - Wood Identification Kits

J T schreef

Interesting.

I don't need one myself, I can usually tell wood by looking at it. Be kinda nice to have tho, but too much for my blood.

  • + + Not a great number of samples, but too much? Yes! These cost 4-5 times as much as I'd expect. PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

PVR notes:

Wow! First time around, I hadn't paid much attention to price. That's rough. $200 for 32 or so samples.

Woodworker's Source has samples that may work out that high if you buy all ebony, but otherwise seem to cost about $2.50 to $4.00 each. I've bought a few there and they're quite good.

Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Reply to
Charlie Self

Wow! First time around, I hadn't paid much attention to price. That's rough. $200 for 32 or so samples.

few there and they're quite good.

  • + + I am now negotiating the resale of some Australian tropical samples, all heartwood, identified to species level, with a fairly extensive label and I am only charging 1.50 each.

Would need to be something special for me to pay up to $4.- let alone $6.25 per sample. PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

PVR notes:

Ebony, rosewood, similar things.

Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Reply to
Charlie Self

PvR notes:

Charlie Self schreef in

  • + + Yes. Once I paid something like twice that amount for a sample of sandalwood. PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

FPL will provide a free sample set of woods, along with the test data

- but they ask for certain credentials - credentials can be a funny thing to deal with, online. cf: "On the internet, no one knows that you're a dog."

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Well, for the cheap SOB's around here I have a sample collection that sells for only $3.75 per sample, minimum of 3 samples per order.

The following are available: Pine from Home Depot Pine from Lowes Pine from the local lumberyard Oak from pallets (available with nails at extra cost) Cedar siding Vinyl siding Birch plywood Exterior plywood Masonite

Shipping and handling is only $10 per order.Act now!

But Wait!!!! There's more. Order today and you will get a quart sized pouch of genuine compost pile starter that has been finely ground to exacting standards. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sun, Apr 4, 2004, 12:34pm (EDT+6) snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl (P=A0van=A0Rijckevorsel) says: Not a great number of samples, but too much? Yes! These cost 4-5 times as much as I'd expect.

As long as you remember, I'm not pushing them, I'm not associated with the seller in any way. I just post links.

Awhile back I got a nice selection of flooring samples. Some repeats of wood, with different finishes, all pieces about 3X3". About

18 pieces, as I recall, didn't cost a thing, except some spam e-mails.

Anyway, I now only use wood native to NC, plywood (which is quite possibly NC wood), pallet wood, and any wood given to me. I get pallets free, they're always popular wood. As long as it's free wood, It's popular with me, no matter where it grows.

JOAT Don't e-mail me while I'm breathing.

Reply to
J T

On 04 Apr 2004 11:11:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Ouch! What a rip!

I got a 50-sample veneer pack for $15 from Constantine's in NY about a decade ago. They're prolly $25-30 by now. Ayup.

$32.95 sure beats $200.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tom Watson schreef

- but they ask for certain credentials - credentials can be a funny thing to deal with, online. cf: "On the internet, no one knows that you're a dog."

  • + + Never heard that. You have to get your own set of samples:
    FPL does provide free identifications of submitted wood samples, up to 5 per US Citizen per year, if said Citizen has a need for this identification. This last, establishing a need for ID, is indeed somewhat vague and appears to be no longer explicitly mentioned?
P van Rijckevorsel

You forgot to specify what kind of nails, and how much they cost. Also this is a NG, not e-bay. PvR

  • + + Edwin Pawlowski schreef

sells for only $3.75 per sample, minimum of 3 samples per order.

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

It does beat $200, but the thicker wood samples beat the veneers all hollow. You get a much better feeling of the wood's weight and density, and if you want, you can touch it with a chisel or saw to see how it works, at least a bit. Best sample would be about 2-3 board feet, large enough to cut, chisel, route, glue up, finish even after you clipped off a 3" x 6" keeper sample.

One day! And not too long from now. Counting down to a move without knowing the absolute date is probably moronic, but...

Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Reply to
Charlie Self

in NY about a decade ago. They're prolly $25-30 by now. Ayup.

$32.95 sure beats $200.

Charlie Self schreef

hollow. You get a much better feeling of the wood's weight and density, and if you want, you can touch it with a chisel or saw to see how it works, at least a bit.

  • + + Collecting veneers cannot really be compared with solid samples. I would not want veneer either, but some people are happy with it. Veneer usually does show off the color and figure quite well. PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

On 05 Apr 2004 09:26:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Yes, ideally, we'd all have well-lit, well-equipped, fully air/humidity-conditioned, 40x60' shops with large planks of wide-width, air-dried woods of every species in our climate- controlled 60x100' wood storage buildings. Those next to our library of wood-related books.

Still, you can tell a lot about wood from a small veneer sample.

Samples alone won't prepare you for the knot-filled crap some yards stock. I had never seen knotty alder until I dropped in to the hardwood store here in GP. Even THEY were amazed and admitted that not much had sold at the $2.90/bf asking price.

It'll surely help you keep(?) your sanity, Charlie. G'luck!

  • * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
  • *
Larry Jaques

Damn. My shop is only 25 x 48, and the storage is in a 15 x 60 shed. It will become wood storage when I get back. Right now, it's mostly full of unused lawnmowers and string trimmers.

Had a really interested young couple by a couple hours ago. Keep your fingers crossed. They've got 3 boys, all fairly young (papa is only 32), so this place is close to ideal for them.

Charlie Self "It is not strange... to mistake change for progress." Millard Fillmore

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:06:17 +0200, "P van Rijckevorsel" brought forth from the murky depths:

Working info and densities can be gleaned by reading a file. Actual samples of wood, whether veneer or thicker small slices, will show the actual coloration and figure. Wetting the sample can give you a close-to-actual finished look. I'll opt for the veneers because they're larger face samples, lighter in weight, and easier to store. Oh, and they're 1/6th the price.