Wood checkering Kits with instructions

Hello All

Looking to try my talent at wood Checkering. Anyone have experience with them and comments on the Instructions.

Thanks for any and all information.

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Ed Erbeck Jr.

I'd suggest going to a good used book store and looking through their older gun books. Some of the older ones will probably contain detailed instructions.

I started on inexpensive 0.30 caliber rifles that I bought from the DCM. I checkered my first stock in the mid-50s and have done numerous ones since then but I can't even recall where the checkering tools came from now. All you need to get started are a couple of checkering tools and a rifler or two (a curved rifler helps and I think I've seen some in catalogs from MSC.) Here are a few URLs I found quickly, there may be more.

those who have forgotten, or never knew, DCM is Director of Civilian Marksmanship...a Government organization from the era when the US Government was trying to encourage it's citizens to own and use weapons...my how times change.

Make a good jig or vise to hold the object and allow you to rotate it as you work, lay out the area you want to checker carefully, keep your tools sharp, and above all don't hurry.

It's not difficult and can be quite rewarding.

RB

Ed Erbeck Jr. wrote:

Reply to
RB

It has a new name; Civilian Marksmanship Program.

For those interested --

M-1's and assorted bits. Shooters only need apply.

Dave

> For those who have forgotten, or never knew, DCM is Director of Civilian

Reply to
David Bush