Wood Identification

I have numerous wood boards/cutoffs acquired from my father that I am trying to identify but I am finding much difficulty doing so. Is there a proven method; i.e. visual, ring growth, colour, chemical to identify the wood? Your help would be very much appreciated.

More to the point, I need to learn to identify various varieties of wood for my own woodworking interest.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
maico

This will get you started:

are many web sites with varying degrees of information density on wood identification, this being among the denser:

RicodJour

Thanks for 2nd'ing the book Tyke: it is now a must buy on my list!

The websites below are very interesting and they look like a quick (and useful) answer to my question. I will study them further. Thank you.

RicodJour wrote:

Reply to
maico