Mystery wood identification

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help with this .. someone I know (who's in Australia, I'm in Ireland!) has come by some mystery wood that he can't identify. It's probably from the Pacific region somewhere, and he says it arrived in a crate along with some Kwila, Vitex, PNG Rosewood and Taun, all of which are totally unknown to me, but I Google'd them and they're all from that area of the world.

Here's his description ... I guess the unusual smell might be the factor that causes one of you to say "Aaaaaah, I know what that is!".

------------------------------------------- I have some timber in 4X4 posts but we cant identify it through any book. Maybe some of ye have come across it before.

Its light, I'd give it an ADD of about 450 - 650 KG/M3 Its strong, I'd rate it SD4 Its very light in colour

IT SMELLS LIKE cloves/aniseed

Any ideas on a species?

Thanks in advance, Alun

Reply to
Alun

I use

for ideas when I need to identify wood

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Fri, Dec 7, 2007, 11:00am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@notsaunders.net (Alun) waves and says: Hi, I wonder if anyone could help with this .. someone I know (who's in Australia, I'm in Ireland!) has come by some mystery wood that he can't identify.

If it's free call it popular. Free wood is always popular.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T

See if anything in here looks familiar.

FoggyTown