Re: OT: trucks

Page 2 of 2

High miles? The only thing hile mileage about those are that they are kind of high on a per-year basis, but they could easily be 3.5 years old. They start selling new models about July or August these days. For me, high miles-per-year are generally a *good* thing. It usually means a lot of easy highway mileage and not a lot of short trips (unless it was a delivery van/truck). I'd go for the Town & Country with a utility trailer for the occasional hauling of sheet goods, etc.
Like I said previously. I used that method for many years when my kids were growing up and it worked well. I even had extra luggage capacity by using the trailer on long family trips or when hauling them to college. I had a Maxima, not a minvan, but the idea is the same. Creature comfort for day-to-day and hauling capacity only when needed.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 23:28:17 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Depends on the size.
The company I work for replaced a bunch of 10', single rear wheeled, GM cube vans with the Isuzu / Mitsubishi equivalent cab-overs for company mail and material distribution. These are 3/4 to 1 ton capacity vehicles, with an empty weight around 5500-6000 pounds, truly not a medium truck. Some of them have been used completely through a life cycle, so a good amount of data's in.
The drivers, mechanics, and bean counters all absolutely love them. A very rare concurrence! I'm pretty sure they use rack and pinion steering, which is one of the reasons the drivers love them.
If a truck is being purchased to be genuinely used as a small truck, not a man-car, they're the bomb! More and more plumbers, carpenters, electricians, you name the trade... are seeing the light.
I've owned vehicles in the man-car category at times, so this term isn't meant to get anyone's panties in a wad. <G>
Barry
On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:53:39 -0700, John McCoy wrote

I have several homemade racks that slip into the box holes. These allow me to haul 20' stuff in my 6' bed 8^)
Bruce writes:

I have several homemade racks that slip into the box holes. These allow me to haul 20' stuff in my 6' bed 8^) <<
Yes, well...GM had a really brilliant idea with the S10 (and its GMC brother). No stake holes. Nada. None. I hadn't even noticed until I decided to get a friend to weld up some old iron the other day. Nope. Not gonna happen with this pick-up. I guess commercial units slip down inside, or over, the rails, with padding and some kind of clamp. What design brilliance!
I sometimes wonder if they burned down the design and advertising departments and locked all those employees in Bedlam if may, just maybe, car manufacturers might turn out a better product. Wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the clipped the vocal cords on any local announcers who might be inclined to emote dealers' ads, too. Just clipped, don't snip. Let 'em screech.

My sentiments exactly. <G>
Barry

Since you are a "truck guy" you may not like this idea. How about a nice 4-door sedan and a utility trailer? You get the comfort and drivability of a car, and hauling capacity when you need it. I did this for years and it really worked well for me.
Bill Ranck Blacskburg, Va.

Ahhhh, inconvienient vs "esentially useless" I can understand. We all have to make some kinds of trade-offs in our vehicle selections, I assume. I have never tried to haul any motorcycles so I don't really know how long they are. With one of those bed extender cages my Dakota bed length with the tailgate down and the cage flipped becomes about 7 ft or so "enclosed" but that might not be enough. It will haul a 4 wheeler though as I have done that a few times. I have hauled a fair amount of 10'+ oak, cherry and walnut and never had any problems. Don't think I have hauled any 12' though. I will admit that for me the hauling capacity is a lower tradeoff for the passenger capacity. I needed to be able to pull my boat and jetskis (up wet ramps so 4 WD was needed), be able to take both grandsons with me (with the required car seats that don't fit on "jump seats" like my previous Ranger extended cab had), and haul some stuff once in a while. The Dakota was the best trade-offs to meet those needs in that order at the time. There are now several "mid-sized" trucks with quad-cab capacities on the market so the Dakota might no longer be the vehicle of choice for me. However, it being a 2000 model, I won't be looking at the market for several more years.
Dave Hall