Re: OT: trucks

If it was a Chrysler product, you should have been on your third tranny.

My last 600K have been on three past and one current (30K) Ranger. Big pieces begin to fall off about year eight or nine, but our salt season is longer and more intense than yours.

18K/annum? I know folks who do that on snow machines....
Reply to
George

If you want an argument, change the subject.

When I lived in the rust belt, would get a new vehicle, drive it 60,000 miles to the nearest junk yard and get in the next new car the dealer had waiting for me.

Here in SoCal, at 95,000, the little Tonka Toy finally got a set of front brakes and some plugs the other day.

Road salt and cold weather have a major impact on vehicle longevity.

Here in SoCal, a commute of 50-100 miles each way is no big news, thus

30K-60K miles per year is NBD.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 23:25:00 GMT, Lew Hodgett scribbled:

Agree on salt, but not on cold weather. We are driving a 1986 Volks Jetta (250k klicks) and a 1990 Chevy C2500 4X4 (200k klicks). The Jetta stopped rusting when it moved to the Yukon in 1990 from New Brunswick. The pickup has no rust at all, having lived in the Yukon all its life.

The trick is to use the garage for what it was intended: a workshop (OBWW). So no melting/freezing cycles if you leave them outside. Like Charlie Self says, that's why cars are painted so well.

Luigi Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Luigi Zanasi

Ahhhh, inconvienient vs "esentially useless" I can understand. We all have to make some kinds of trade-offs in our vehicle selections, I assume. I have never tried to haul any motorcycles so I don't really know how long they are. With one of those bed extender cages my Dakota bed length with the tailgate down and the cage flipped becomes about 7 ft or so "enclosed" but that might not be enough. It will haul a 4 wheeler though as I have done that a few times. I have hauled a fair amount of 10'+ oak, cherry and walnut and never had any problems. Don't think I have hauled any 12' though. I will admit that for me the hauling capacity is a lower tradeoff for the passenger capacity. I needed to be able to pull my boat and jetskis (up wet ramps so 4 WD was needed), be able to take both grandsons with me (with the required car seats that don't fit on "jump seats" like my previous Ranger extended cab had), and haul some stuff once in a while. The Dakota was the best trade-offs to meet those needs in that order at the time. There are now several "mid-sized" trucks with quad-cab capacities on the market so the Dakota might no longer be the vehicle of choice for me. However, it being a 2000 model, I won't be looking at the market for several more years.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

===================

My neighbor is (or was until he retired last year) the Factory Rep for General Motors.... The General now designs their engines to last for

300,000 miles... under normal use... that is not saying you will get that many miles but in the 60's and 70's they were expected (not designed to last under 100,000 miles...)

My Wives 96 Caranan now is getting close to 200,000 miles on it and I will admit that it may use 1/2 quart of oil between its

3000-4000 mile oil changes,.... who cares !

My interests are in Corvettes and 60 era GM muscle cars (5 Corvettes and a Chevelle are in the garage now...)... Rebuilding those engines is very possible for under $2,500 but normally 3,000 will get you a real nice rebuild... Heck a 350 Hp zz4 SB can be purchased for $3,500 with a new engine waranty right at the parts counter of any Chevy dealer...I can pull out the old and put in the new engine in a weekend without any trouble..could do it in a single day honestly... with a little help from my son ....

What I am saying is I do not take the milage as any big factor in buying a vehicle ...I will NOT pay a premium for a low milage vehicle...just not worth it ... in my opinion...

Just my thoughts...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

It is not the miles, it is how the miles were driven. I've gone back to using my '91 Regal for my daily commute because I want to get some use before it rots away. Only 142,000 and runs as good as the day it was new. It is on the second set of plugs though. The original were replaced at about 85,000 miles. Still has the original exhaust on it also. It lacks some of the fancy goodies that my new car has, but I still like the way this one handles and rides. Best part is it has been paid for over 10 years now. Lots of highway miles.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

High miles? The only thing hile mileage about those are that they are kind of high on a per-year basis, but they could easily be 3.5 years old. They start selling new models about July or August these days. For me, high miles-per-year are generally a *good* thing. It usually means a lot of easy highway mileage and not a lot of short trips (unless it was a delivery van/truck). I'd go for the Town & Country with a utility trailer for the occasional hauling of sheet goods, etc.

Like I said previously. I used that method for many years when my kids were growing up and it worked well. I even had extra luggage capacity by using the trailer on long family trips or when hauling them to college. I had a Maxima, not a minvan, but the idea is the same. Creature comfort for day-to-day and hauling capacity only when needed.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck