Re: OT: Speaking of the hate speech from the right...

...*read* the post, Steve...key word, "anecdotal"...I have no reason to lie, the people I run with are not, on average, theists..., and I don't search out the other POV. I think that is the case with most people, "birds of a feather" and all that...it's easy to spout statistics on a newsgroup (where *feelings* run rampant); it's harder to consciously question one's sources...more like work.

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

Perhaps they are the same thing?

Reply to
LDosser

The science teacher in the high school here teaches creationism and doesn't believe in evolution. (My daughter has a fit about it!) Tom

Reply to
Tom B

Tom, does the science teacher mention anything about my belief that the Universe is a computer?

Seriously, it deserves a mention...

If you doubt my seriousness, you might find Ed Fredkin interesting reading, assuming you are intelligent enough to read complex digital philosophy, and young enough to stay awake through a well written, long article. I read it 22 years ago when I was sitting at my desk at work, wasting time instead of working... I ain't reading it again, can't stay awake, but I wonder how it's stood the test of time... Computers and the digital highway have proliferated and broadened a bit some since 1988...

If nothing else, after reading it, you can usually get interesting affects when you interrupt god/no god arguments with your believe that god is a computer.... The only thing I remember about the article though is that the Universe is a computer... 22 years can do that...

Jack Stein

a virtual reality program running on some kid's computer?

Reply to
Nonny

None of it matters when The LHC falls in love with itself.

Reply to
Robatoy

------------------------------------------- And who can blame her.

First Scopes, then 85 years later, still have the same old crap.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Then chalk my remarks as 'anecdotal." No big deal -- merely pointing out that I have had real face-to-face communications with said believers.

I recognize a creation myth when I stumble over it, and dont' find any contradiction in believing in both a God (or godhead) and evolution. In fact a god who can be amused by setting things in motion and seeing what happens later is a whole lot more interesting than a god who says "BAM!" and walks away, satified.

Reply to
Steve

Where is "here"? Have you thought about throwing a fit?

Reply to
LDosser

So she'd rather he was devoted to the orthodox non-causal spontaneous generation origin of the universe theory espoused in modern cosmology?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

The "Creationism" people buck science by using "faith" as proof. I guess you don't have to believe in radioisotopes. Like it or not, the earth is about 4.5 billion years old.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, how long has your kid, and his computer been around?

Reply to
Jack Stein

:> The science teacher in the high school here teaches creationism and :> doesn't believe in evolution. (My daughter has a fit about it!)

: Tom, does the science teacher mention anything about my belief that the : Universe is a computer?

: Seriously, it deserves a mention...

Also see:

Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

These guys most certainly ripped off my guy, who predates them by a good bit:-)

Jack Stein