Re: OT: Speaking of the hate speech from the right...

Perhaps they are the same thing?
<snip>

The science teacher in the high school here teaches creationism and doesn't believe in evolution. (My daughter has a fit about it!) Tom
Tom B wrote:

Tom, does the science teacher mention anything about my belief that the Universe is a computer?
Seriously, it deserves a mention...
If you doubt my seriousness, you might find Ed Fredkin interesting reading, assuming you are intelligent enough to read complex digital philosophy, and young enough to stay awake through a well written, long article. I read it 22 years ago when I was sitting at my desk at work, wasting time instead of working... I ain't reading it again, can't stay awake, but I wonder how it's stood the test of time... Computers and the digital highway have proliferated and broadened a bit some since 1988...
If nothing else, after reading it, you can usually get interesting affects when you interrupt god/no god arguments with your believe that god is a computer.... The only thing I remember about the article though is that the Universe is a computer... 22 years can do that...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Fredkin http://www.theatlantic.com/past/issues/88apr/wright.htm
--
Jack
Gun control is not about guns; it's about control.

Is this like my own belief that our universe is nothing more than a virtual reality program running on some kid's computer?
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

Nonny wrote:

Well, how long has your kid, and his computer been around?
--
Jack
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity!
: Tom B wrote:
:> The science teacher in the high school here teaches creationism and :> doesn't believe in evolution. (My daughter has a fit about it!) : Tom, does the science teacher mention anything about my belief that the : Universe is a computer?
: Seriously, it deserves a mention...
Also see:
http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html http://www.boingboing.net/2007/08/15/hans-moravec-on-livi.html http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/science/14tier.html?eiQ24&en "efff4469281187&ex44744000&adxnnl=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink&adxnnlx87101355-5HWiLxChv9ReqvISlLpTnQ
-- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/science/14tier.html?eiQ24&en "efff4469281187&ex44744000&adxnnl=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink&adxnnlx87101355-5HWiLxChv9ReqvISlLpTnQ
These guys most certainly ripped off my guy, who predates them by a good bit:-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Fredkin
--
Jack
Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.
"Tom B" wrote:

And who can blame her.
First Scopes, then 85 years later, still have the same old crap.
Lew

Where is "here"? Have you thought about throwing a fit?
Tom B wrote:

So she'd rather he was devoted to the orthodox non-causal spontaneous generation origin of the universe theory espoused in modern cosmology?

Rob Leatham
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:02:56 -0500, "Tom B"

The "Creationism" people buck science by using "faith" as proof. I guess you don't have to believe in radioisotopes. Like it or not, the earth is about 4.5 billion years old.
On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:23:27 -0400, Steve

...*read* the post, Steve...key word, "anecdotal"...I have no reason to lie, the people I run with are not, on average, theists..., and I don't search out the other POV. I think that is the case with most people, "birds of a feather" and all that...it's easy to spout statistics on a newsgroup (where *feelings* run rampant); it's harder to consciously question one's sources...more like work.
cg

Then chalk my remarks as 'anecdotal." No big deal -- merely pointing out that I have had real face-to-face communications with said believers.
I recognize a creation myth when I stumble over it, and dont' find any contradiction in believing in both a God (or godhead) and evolution. In fact a god who can be amused by setting things in motion and seeing what happens later is a whole lot more interesting than a god who says "BAM!" and walks away, satified.