RE: O/T, Largest Cash Crop

Page 3 of 4
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:37:46 -0500, J T wrote:

Whoever said "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" has never been seasick.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Robatoy wrote:
> Look at Limbaugh to see how stupid you can get from Oxycontin.
He doesn't need any help from Oxycontin.
Lew
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:41:39 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Agreed-
But, Oxycontin will mess a guy up just fine, regardless of the person. My dad has been addicted to it (with prescription) for about 10 years now, and he's well down the road of senility, even though he's not even 50 yet. It's a real chore even trying to talk to the guy at this point, he's so disconnected from reality.
: Look at Limbaugh to see how stupid you can get from Oxycontin.
I'm pretty sure he was that way before the Oxycontin.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

One of my finest days occurred when the ACLU came to his aid with keeping his medical records secret. Doesn't get much better than that.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Mark & Juanita wrote:

With all due deference, that's what the wine with dinner is for, too.
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-0, 12/22/2006

You ever consider the methodology used to come up with such figures? A WAG or wild assed guess is most likely used here.... I don't recall a 300 million member audit on the subject lately. If my math is correct it comes to $116.66 for every man, women and child in the country. Average heavy users would fit a fairly narrow age range and a reasonably narrow slice of that group would routinely use heavily to boot. Many pot heads are reasonably easy to identify....they are often lazy and intellectually shallow. When a life achievement revolves around ingesting a substance things like ambition, achievement, learning and discipline fall by the wayside....... Shall we conduct a WREC poll on how much "we" spend per year on pot?.....zero here Rod
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 13:31:24 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"

Yeah, but how much do "we" spend on booze, a much more mind rotting drug than pot and probably more likely to result in lazy, intellectually shallow, drunken slob-like behavior.
Dave Hall
(Who, by the way, spends zero dollars per year on either and doesn't ingest either if offered for free)
Dave Hall wrote:

Ditto.
Virus Database (VPS): 0662-0, 12/22/2006
Dave Hall wrote:

Oops ... ditto to the ABOVE.
Bill

Shall we conduct a WREC poll on how much "we" spend per year

Zero here... but I do hang with a few musicians...
"Robatoy" wrote in message

The voice _from_ experience playing the following different types of music ... strictly from observation, you understand:
Jazz - "tea" (aka pot) Country - beer Rock - assorted (at the same time) Bluegrass - whisky (out in the parking lot) Folk - Pot pre '80/Green tea post '80's Blues - assorted Western Swing - water (most too old to drink)
Not in any particular chronilogical order ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/19/06

LOL.. so true. I have observed similar things. Observed.
My granma's knitting club - brandy soaked raisins. They weren't 'drinking', but they sure got loud after a couple of mason jars of the stuff. Those old bitties, singing, are amongst some of my favourite childhood memories.
Rod & Betty Jo wrote:

$23.00 here. Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you meant for the little peat things for the tomatoes.
If you mean Mara Ja Wanna, yeah $0.00
Ut-oh ... between you and me, somebody is going to have to go around swacked an awful lot to keep the averages up.
People who spend their spare time using fast, sharp, mechanized blades seldom have a large marijuana bill.
Bill
--
There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare
that obscures.

One of the things that always gets me about these statistics, as well as statistics regarding things like software piracy: How the heck do they know? Where do these figures come from? The druglords aren't reporting it, and if the authorities know the amount that is being sold and grown, they ought to know where it is and therefore they ought to be able to stop it. Just like most of the other news, my guess is that this is "made up facts", kind of that "fake but accurate" thing. Especially in this case, who can truly dispute the number? Why not $50 billion yearly, or only $5 billion.

I always get a kick out of the way they calculate 'street value' of drugs confiscated during a bust. Here, at the border between the US and Canada, we get regular news reports of confiscations and their associated 'values'. The numbers are incredibly overblown, nay, superinflated to show the good people (tax payers) that the boys in blue are ON THE JOB!! Just recently they busted a trucker with 2 pounds of pot. Street value of $30,000 dollars. (That's around 30 dollars per 1 gram joint ... for pressed Mexican ditch-weed. (Photo showed two highly compressed brown bricks). OVER $ 900 per ounce! Who-the-hell are they kidding? Those numbers are for public consumption, to make themselves look way better than they are. They are "doing one heck of job."

No wonder they are loosing the war on drugs. They make it look sooooo profitable.

Sort of like telling us how many homeless or how many without medical insurance to jolt us into action? Or one of my favorites, the cost per day per inmate. The cost difference between one and two is the price of the chow. In our case, it was about six bucks. The twenty-first was another matter, because that required another body on shift.

The figures come from DOMUS (Department of Made Up Statistics) or DOMB (Department of Make Believe)

LOL