Re: HUMOR: Getting even at Home Depot

Page 1 of 8
I love the smell of urban legends in the morning.
UA100
Barry Burke responds:

And add in the cost of Club...I haven't looked at one in a decade or more, but I'd bet you're tossing 70 bucks into the wind to get even with a jerk. Add that to filing a false police report. :)
Charlie Self
"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful." Samuel Johnson
Barry, In that 'Perfect World' you're 100% right . . . However . . .
I have seen people pull into Handicap parking slots . . . usually driving some kind of 'Humongomobile' and get disgusted by it. After a while, {sometimes I'm a 'slow learner'} I stopped 'turning them in'. The establishment owners typically don't care - often the spaces are only there because the 'law' says they HAVE to be there.
The local 'Law' don't care - it's either not worth their effort, or you disturbed their coffee break {ever see a Patrol Car cruising a parking lot and driving right by them ??}. Once I even got chewed out for flagging one down and pointing out the violation.
As far as taking pictures {digital or otherwise, showing license plate, etc.}? . . . "Hey, pal - I/we didn't see it so there is nothing we {the Law} can do". This is the same answer I got when I tried to report that someone had sideswiped my car {I had the plate #}. The basic answer - "If we don't see it happen. . it didn't happen".
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
SNIP

Around here, they raised the fine for illegally parking in a handicapped spot to $5000.00. People complained. That's right - they said the fine was too high. Our civilization isn't keeping up with our society.
Mike Who some days really wants to move into the woods and not see anyone anymore.
On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 22:18:07 GMT, "Michael Daly"

Where do they fine you $5000? I thought $250 was high! lol
Hope ya'll had a nice weekend...
Trent
In rec.woodworking

Have you ever considered the idiocy of a handicapped spot at a mall? If they can't walk in from the parking lot, how are they going to walk the mall?
The ADA is a good example of a good idea gone completely insane.
Bruce wrote:

Did you ever notice the extended area along side the handicapped parking area. This area is designed to facilitate setting up and accessing a wheel chair.
-- Jack

Which seems to make it more unfair.
If there not gonna hafta walk ANYWAY...no matter where they park...put the handicapped spots at the far end of the parking lot. They won't hafta walk...they have the chairs. So that'll make access for the other folks easier. lol
Hope ya'll had a nice weekend...
Trent

It apparently hasn't occurred to you yet that many physically handicapped people don't use wheelchairs. It also appears that you have never used a wheelchair; it ain't as easy as you seem to think.
I'm trying to figure out why *anyone* would begrudge *any* measure that makes life a little bit simpler for those who can walk only with difficulty, or can't walk at all. Pray God that you never join their ranks.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:00:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Things aren't always as they appear.

Where did I 'begrudge' anybody?
You need to lighten up, Dougie! lol
I also think its a waste of money to put a Braille alphabet at drive-up windows at the bank. But, hey...that's just me.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent

Perhaps not -- just the same, I doubt you've ever used one.

Pardon me for inferring that from your suggestion that the handicap spaces should be put at the far end of the parking lot.

You need to get your head out of your keister, Trent. If you were being serious, then you're every bit the dumbass you seem to be. And if you were joking, you are a remarkably insensitive asshole.

Haven't thought that one through either, have you? Hint: it's cheaper for the ATM manufacturers to make one type of control panel, with Braille, than to make two types, one with and one without.
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:34:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yer forgiven. But I had to forgive you the LAST time, too!!
You seem to do that a lot.

Do I get my pick? lol Awh...I really don't have the time. You pick one for me.

Hint: Why two?
Although, I've gotta admit. I've seen exposes' on TV on blind folks who still hold valid driving licenses.
Bye, Dougie.
Hope ya'll have a nice week...
Trent

I've never seen an ATM that came with Braille keys or instructions. But when ADA came into being, every ATM in town suddenly had a little Braille pad installed to the side of the keypad, presumably a guide to the keys.
All the keys of course, produce non-Braille results on the computer screen, requiring the user to follow VISUAL instructions.
Kevin

Of course.
But I was speaking of the *bank* affixing (at customer expense) Braille add-ons to their drive-up ATMs when ADA went into effect.

I don't doubt that. I've never seen one, but every ATM in town has Braille. Perhaps private ATMs in convenience stores have voice instructions, but I don't use them (convenience charges, yanno). And that begs the question: if Braille users can't use drive-up ATMs for obvious reasons, then how the heck can they *find* walk-up ATMs?
I am *not* insensitive to the vision-impaired. I understand that not everyone who reads Braille lives in total darkness. I understand that legal and/or effective blindess is not the same as total blindness.
I also work in a prison, and I've seen the absurdity of ADA in action. We have second floor housing units, totally inacessible by wheelchair (stairs only, no elevators). Yet, to comply with ADA, *every* drinking fountain on the second floor was replaced with a wheelchair-accessible version. *Every* second-floor housing unit had wheelchair-accessible showers and toilets installed, at great expense to the taxpayers.
The ADA does *not* require such extreme measures. Store owners can comply by putting up "honk for curb service" signs. But, there is an entire sub-branch of the lawyer world making a living by suing businesses for ADA compliance, even if there is no true plaintiff.
Kevin

You answered the question. Blind people get around very well, even the ones in total darkness. If for some reason they can't get to it on their own, they can be assisted by another. Once at the ATM, they can transact their business themselves in privacy, same as we all do.
Blind people travel the city on public transportation every day. They can hold responsible jobs and get to the bathroom and lunch room or the nearby deli.
When I was in high school I used to deliver groceries after school. One customer was a blind couple. When I delivered, the canned good had to be put away in certain places so they could tell the peas from the corn. They even turned the light on for me so I could do it. They could count out paper money with no mixups. And I got a 50 tip, good money back in '63 Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

This is astonishing given the lawsuit I read bout not too long ago. A legless inmate who was literally crawling around the prison on bloody stumps was suing to try to force the prison to obey the court order from a previous lawsuit and allow him to use a wheel- chair or prosthetic limbs (which might have been made from wood.)
The wardon had refused to obey the court order arguing that the wheelchair or limbs might be used to hide contraband.
It seemed to me that there was at least one warden on the wrong side of the bars.
--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

The inmate's going to loose this case. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
The thing is you almost can't blame the warden. (if he is only being fearful and not insensitive). One of the Max. prisons near me gets Locked down almost once a month because some idiot inmate has found out another way to make a weapon from his cloths, diner, or jail house furniture.
--
Young Carpenter

Have a friend who is blind. She gets someone to drive her to the bank and then uses the drive up ATM to take care of her banking. She often can't do it during regular banking hours, she has a part time job reading to the blind.(I kid you not)

Did you ever think they might have difficulty getting out of their auto in the rain and getting to the mall? Try it sometime. Once inside, there is not much trouble navigating with a wheelchair. But the trip from the car to the door can be difficult in bad weather. You don't really think putting the handicapped parking slots near the doors is wrong, do you? But if you do, going by your logic, able bodied people should be able to walk from even farther in the parking lot so what's the problem?
Dennis Vogel