Re: gone longer than I thought...

Page 1 of 4
"Silvan" wrote in message

create
It'll hit again before you know it. This typically happens to me about every three months or so on my own woodworking projects, particularly if I've logged a lot of shop time in the interim. If I am doing something for someone else, I can keep at it until I'm done.
AAMOF, I am going through the same thing myself. I have a bunch of mortises marked out, but just can't seem to get out there and get them cut. I completed two fairly large projects in the past couple of months, and I've got an out of town gig this weekend , so seem to be using those to justify the inertness this week.
Know how you feel about the music ... other than my kids, that has always been the most important thing in my life. Still trying to capture that feeling when, at 10 or so, I first strummed a five string banjo chord against a friend's guitar chord and heard, and felt, "that sound" ... it was a religious experience.
... and music in the shop is as important as the table saw or any other tool, IMO.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Think this is wise. Even if I'm midstream in a project, on those days I don't feel like 'dorking, I don't. On those days I do, I 'dork. Fortunately, this is a hobby. Would be a different story if it were my livelihood.
I think if you force it, you won't enjoy it (as much).
jo4hn wrote:

Naw, he's chasing a Muse. We all do, in our own ways, he's just doing it sequentially. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
jo4hn wrote:

Maybe not as much as you think. I just went to HD and looked at their buildings. 20' x 20'... *pant pant pant*
I'd put my table saw here, and my workbench here...
I could never afford one of those things though. I figure $15,000 for the building and slab, and that doesn't even include electrical, insulation, sheetrock or HVAC.
I guess that's a dream that will have to wait until my kids are out of school and have moved out of my house at age 32. :)
I could probably do it much, much cheaper than that too, but only if I knew something about carpentry.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:24:01 -0400, Silvan

have you checked into metal buildings? they can be had cheep if you pour your own slab and erect it yourself BUT they could be hard to cool in the summer and the electrical may need to be in conduit or BX cable. BTW don't even try to fight the addiction! and yes, it is an addiction! lol.....
skeez
skeezics wrote:

It's definitely a thought. I watched the guy across the street build a 50,000 sq. ft. metal industrial building in a couple of weeks by himself. Just him and an an off-road forklift. Had to get a helper once or twice when he was doing the top beams, IIRC.
I have looked into a few though, and they don't seem to make them small enough for my site.
Silvan notes:

Smallest is 21' x 28'. http://www.ironbuilt.com/ib_specials.html
If I'd know about these when I built my shop....
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
Wed, Apr 14, 2004, 5:24pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) drools out: Maybe not as much as you think. I just went to HD and looked at their buildings. 20' x 20'... *pant pant pant* <snip>
HD, eh? I knew you had little taste, but didn't realize just how little.
I keeps tellin'a ya. Getcha a used camper, gut it, and you have an instant, insulated, wired, and portable, shop. Sell the fixtures, and you could even wind up getting it free, or close to it. I've seen 20-30 footers going for less than $1,000, and 15-20 footers around $400, and that's with working furnace, and ofen working A/C. That's how I was gonna do it, but, of course, when I was ready to buy (meaning finally got some money), couldn't find a one. So, my 8X12' shop cost me $835, put up in one morning, by the guy I bougt it from. Case of, buy then, or piddle the money away, an no shop - ever. And, within a week after I got my shop, found several suitable (affordable) campers. No regrets, if I hadn't bought then, probably wouldn't have even that today.
JOAT I will feel equality has arrived when we can elect to office women who are as unqualified as some of the men who are already there. - Maureen Reagan

If you can figure out how to build a decent chess board, then the skill level required to build a shop that won't fall down is certainly not beyond your grasp.
Basic foundation and framing has been worked out, and set in code, such that it is pretty much follow the numbers. You can buy the kits if you want, but a guy with your reputation for doing things 'thrifty' need not spend that kind of scratch for some on else to gather the materials in one place.
Betcha there's a book or three in the library.
However, there's lotsa good stuff to do, now that spring has sprung.
Patriarch, whose shop is in the former garage, and built an 8x12 shed to house the displaced garden implements and supplies....
patriarch wrote:

I do have a "buid your own house" book.

Like mow. :( Somehow having started mowing in April just feels wrong. I'll have to mow every week from now until October, and it's already getting old.
I can't wait 'til my boy's legs get just a little longer. :)

A friend of mine near Auburn, CA (Sierra foothills) went to the SPCA, and bought himself a $20 billy goat, who loves to eat poison oak, grass, and almost everything within reach of his line. And if he gets to be too much trouble, the SPCA will be glad to take him back, I guess.
Not the cutest, most cuddly looking creature I ever saw. His wife calls the goat 'Lucifer'. ;-)
Patriarch
Mon, Apr 19, 2004, 5:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.codifiant.comnet (patriarch) says: <snip> goat, who loves to eat poison oak, grass, and almost everything within reach of his line.<snip>
Including bark. That's why people pen then where they want brush cleared out.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
patriarch wrote:

Those critters do have a demonic look, don't they? It's the weird eyes.
I know lotsa people with goats. Usually people with big spreads and fences though.
Silvan responds:

I wonoder...it is said that people come to resemble their pets. Bad enough to look like a pit bull, but a goat....
And what a voice!
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
What's even worse is when you get used to having him mow then he grows up and moves out.

CW wrote:

True enough, but this is the 21st century, so I get a few more years of free mowing while I sit back with a beer and watch my little princess sweat her ass off behind the mower. :)
Either way, they'll both be gone right about the time I'm starting to really get creaky in the knees.
That's when I'm going to buy a huge tank full of Round-Up, nuke everything, and put down green astroturf. :)
Wed, Apr 21, 2004, 9:09am snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: <snip> Either way, they'll both be gone right about the time I'm starting to really get creaky in the knees.<snip>
When I was a kid, we had a big lawn from the start. And, my old man kept enlarging it. Push mower, would take me 4 hours of steady work to mow it, only stopping to refill the tank. When I went in the Army, he bought a riding mower, and then my mother mowed it. Big mower, pull the throttle down, and you could probably mow the whole lawn in half an hour, only slowing down on turns. I hate mowing a lawn.
JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy. - Unknown
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:09:02 -0400, Silvan

or just plot out the mow path and watch the mower sweat its *own* ass off...
That's what I said too. Excuse me while I go mow the lawn...

CW wrote:

You priced Round-Up too, didja? <sigh>