.....And it's gone!

In the drone-age, where these things are cheap and freely available, is it really a good idea to parade the Imperial State Crown atop a cushion on a coffin on an open carriage for any international jewel thief who fancies his chances to swoop in and take a swipe at? I hope they've lashed that thing down properly come the funeral, or someone's face is going to have egg all over it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Given the locations I expect counter-drone measures will already have been in place; and that they'll be bolstered come Monday with POTUS et al on site.

Reply to
Robin

They'd have been bolstered a whole lot more if it had been the last POTUS. On the crown, anway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I doubt any of the cheap ones could lift the weight.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Did the BBC tell you that it was the real crown? It's a replica made from base metal and glass.

Reply to
alan_m

It certainly was twinkling in the sunlight and Ray Tracer said it was of the correct refractive index....but he is a lying bastard.

Reply to
jon

And the coffin is empty.

Reply to
R D S

No it'll have a few bricks in it for the weight

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

What do you reckon that its maybe just a replica? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There was a program on TV about the Coffin and the royal coffin makers. The coffin was made many years ago, and at some point they added retaining devices to hold the crown in place. It was said these were to prevent accidental damage, but I am sure they would also prevent it being snatched by a rampant drone operator....

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

The weight might be the lead lining

Reply to
charles

If it is, the Royal Jeweller is going to get a bit of a shock when he turns up at Windsor Castle to collect it and return it to The Tower.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I did wonder myself. You never know what to believe these days. Imagine all those people queuing up for hours on end to end up paying their respects to an empty box!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Nar. it has a long bit of concrete so it doesnt move around when they go up the stairs etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Do you really think that is the real one?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assume so but I really don't know for certain. Do you believe the Queen was a reptilian?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Seems vaguely unlikely, but you never know...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No problem. Truss sorted this out years ago, when she was Justice Secretary.

(For Brian's, and others', benefit, Truss said barking dogs can be used to deter drones. Andy's lending the corgis for the day. I understand he's charging £12 million.)

Reply to
John Armstrong

God help us if she ever becomes Prime Minister....... :(

Reply to
alan_m

It's most likely a replica. At least one does exist.

Reply to
Frank