.....And it's gone!

AFAIA It *has* to be the real thing as dictated by 1000 years of tradition.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's real one is less than 90 years old and the replica on display considerably younger so no great tradition.

Much of the " tradition" that we are about to witness is not that old and even then changed when it suited the authorities to do so.

Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

It's the tradition that it has to be the real one, not a fake.

Not that that particular crown is that old.

Not true of the tradition that it has to be the real crown.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The bearer party carrying Winston Churchills lead-lined coffin almost dropped it going up the steps of St Pauls according to the memoirs of one of the bearers.

Reply to
Andrew

I bet a Golden Eagle could fly off with that crown.

Reply to
Andrew

The real Scottish one is really old and original.

Reply to
Andrew

Not when it is properly attached to the coffin so that it needs to take both.

Bet the crowns have hooks so it can be wired to the coffin so it doesnt fall off when they go up the steps to where it will be displayed for days or a week or so. Tho there obviously needs to be some quick release device so the crown doesn't end up in the crypt or where ever it ends up.

Reply to
zall

Oliver Cromwell had our Crown Jewels melted down and turned into coins.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I see they are transporting that bit of rock (stone of scone) back from Scotland for the coronation.

Perhaps that is what is in the coffin?

Reply to
alan_m

Not the jewels,,though. They were just sold, The Scots managed to hide theirs which is why the Scottish crown is older than the English one.

Reply to
charles

Nope. The combined weight of the lead, the Stone and the wax dummy would make the coffin too heavy for even half a dozen fit and strong soldiers to lift.

Reply to
Dan Green

The coffin alone weighs about a quarter of a tonne, so it could be empty and nobody would notice.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Well, the hot-snot glue or whatever on the orb seems to have lasted the week ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, but did you notice the crown itself wasn't secured at all! The Crown Jeweller just lifted it up and that was it. They'd formed a lump in the middle of the cushion to prevent it slipping off, but there was nothing to stop it being lifted from above.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Somebody did sneak up to it mid-ceremony and unscrewed a couple of (wing nuts?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

You obviously missed the event earlier where he 'fiddled' with all the jewels. My thought was that he was unlocking them

Reply to
charles

Nah - there is a big rare earth magnet just under the coffin lid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Gold ain't magnetic.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I wondered how the orb managed to stay in place throughout all the lifting and placing, there appeared a spike underneath that stuck into the coffin lid you just caught a glance as the guy removed it before masking it with his hand. However, when placing on the altar the spike did not seem to fit the receptacle in the cushion and it was left elevated with the top of the spike visible. I got the impression the spike had a cradle on the top that gripped the orb by its central band. As for the crown there seemed a rigid centre on the cushion that fitted into the rim of the crown and there were two brass features on top presumably to allow it to be secured in place.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

I wondered exactly the same and also saw that it wasn’t “plugged” into its new base properly after the transfer. Kept expecting it to fall off the altar!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+