gone longer than I thought...

I do have a "buid your own house" book.

Like mow. :( Somehow having started mowing in April just feels wrong. I'll have to mow every week from now until October, and it's already getting old.

I can't wait 'til my boy's legs get just a little longer. :)

Reply to
Silvan

It's definitely a thought. I watched the guy across the street build a

50,000 sq. ft. metal industrial building in a couple of weeks by himself. Just him and an an off-road forklift. Had to get a helper once or twice when he was doing the top beams, IIRC.

I have looked into a few though, and they don't seem to make them small enough for my site.

Reply to
Silvan

You dirty old man you!

FWIW, the best bass player I know doesn't play one of those electroflummies. That dude is awesome. I didn't know a bass could do stuff like what he does with one.

Those critters are EXPENSIVE though. Plus I'm too stupid to play anything that doesn't have frets.

Reply to
Silvan

Mike...

USDA used to publish a couple of how-to books dealing with low-budget rural/agricultural construction that I think might be of some help. What I liked about the books was that they assumed the reader knew nothing about carpentry or construction (that was a fairly apt description of me at the time), had lots of drawings, and maintained a good balance between "how" and "why".

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Your neighbors thank you.

Reply to
CW

Silvan snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in news:5labl1- snipped-for-privacy@giganator2000.family.lan:

A friend of mine near Auburn, CA (Sierra foothills) went to the SPCA, and bought himself a $20 billy goat, who loves to eat poison oak, grass, and almost everything within reach of his line. And if he gets to be too much trouble, the SPCA will be glad to take him back, I guess.

Not the cutest, most cuddly looking creature I ever saw. His wife calls the goat 'Lucifer'. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

What's even worse is when you get used to having him mow then he grows up and moves out.

Reply to
CW

Silvan responds:

Yeah. I know about that. We're paying taxes on a house that is worth about half what the evaluation is. I've offered to sell the county the property for the eval, but no takers.

What I am talking about is what a builder is going to charge you for an addition or new structure. $75 a square foot. Has no relation at all to tax rates, which have little relation to reality anyway.

Still not that expensive.

When I get back, I'll see if we can get together and you can go see a friend's shop. He knew zip, or a little less, about wiring. Taught himself. Did a much better job than I did, for a variety of reasons including personality (he has a lot more patience than I do, to start, and is a lot more anal for another...good wiring really requires an anal personality).

Then plan. Plan big. Plan small. Plan medium. Keep planning, using the switch box or graphed paper or a drafting set-up. When you get ready to go, you'll have the plan you need ready. And read. Read everything you can find on carpentry and residential construction and a little on light commercial construction.

It'll keep you out of mischief, too.

Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Silvan notes:

Smallest is 21' x 28'.

If I'd know about these when I built my shop....

Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Mon, Apr 19, 2004, 5:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.codifiant.comnet (patriarch) says: <snip> goat, who loves to eat poison oak, grass, and almost everything within reach of his line.<snip>

Including bark. That's why people pen then where they want brush cleared out.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Sun, Apr 18, 2004, 6:03pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) says: <snip> I'm just not really interested in going that route. <snip>

Then start checking your local bargain papers. You can find companies willing to sell you kits, erect on your site, with payment plans, etc. Almost any size you want, or are willing to pay for.

Or, check on local guys moonlighting. My shop is only 8X12, for $875. That's what I could afford. Up in one Sat morning, by the guy that sold/made it. He also makes (prefabs), delivers, and sets up, smaller, or up to two car garage size, at least, priced accordingly. Probably cost more if he went out of state. The price was cheaper than the kits I found, and I didn't have to do any of the work. Yes, I could have paid less for materials, and done it myself. However, I would have had to had the materials delivered, it would have been a major pain (no pun intended) for me to construct, considering my joints it would also have been painful, and would have probably taken me a couple of weeks.

One financing option is a signature loan from your bank, for $5,000 or less. Interest rates are a LOT less than credit card, pay off in 2 years, and they can take payments direct from your checking - so one less bill to worry about.

Besides, the campers I've seen are OK on the outside, only trashed on the inside. But, your shop, your money, your choice.

But, if you've got access to a bunch of logs, doesn't matter if they're split or not, cut them in about 1' lengths, and make a cordwood shop building (yep, that's the terminology). Not hard, looks good, cheap. Or, a batch of scraw bales, for a straw straw shop (yup, i'ts a legiitimate type of building practice), check it out. You can make them look as good as you want 2X4 cutoffs. Etc. There's more ways, but I'm gonna make me a cup of something hot to drink.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

Maybe some of youse guys that live withing driving distance of Silvan should get together and stick frame him a workshop. One weekend to run plumbing, electrics, and pour a slab, and a second to frame it and close it in. Need a retired contractor or two to put together a plan (windows, barn doors, etc) and to get the dreaded permits. Sign up sheets for volunteers. I'll contribute $50 for donuts and coffee or romex or whatever. Somebody out there want to start this up? mahalo, jo4hn

p.s. This could be a biggie, how about Workshops for Woodworkers?

Reply to
jo4hn

jo4hn notes:

Hell, I'll try to remember to toss my extra 250' of #12 on the truck this coming weekend as I head down to Bedford. I've also got maybe 75-100' of #10 in the shop down there. But he's gotta come get it. I won't have time to roll up to B'burg. Actually, I'll roll through it twice, at ungodly hours. but without time for a stop. If I got off 460 in that mess around VT, I'd never get back where I need to be.

I got the #12 when I started thinking about rewiring the garage here--until I found out the local rip-off artists that pretend to be a power company wanted a frigging grand to locate a single lousy pole and a meter. Scroom.

Got a framing hammer he can have, too. But not the titanium one.

Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

How could I resist free donuts? Count me in. Let's get this done before July!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

snip

Hell, I'm game. Seems like we could put up a 20x20 shed in a weekend, if the slab were formed on Fri afternoon. Sat morning, pour slab, prefab walls. Sat afternoon, get under roof. Sun morn, finish framing and roofing. Sun afternoon, start electric. We can at least get the wires pulled. Nailing up new work boxes and installing outlets and switches is no big deal, right?

I realize, of course, that that schedule is not for a pair of buddies who pop the first beer at 9 a.m. But with 6-8-10 hard-chargers, that shouldn't pose a problem, especially with a 20x20. Drywall and insulation can get done whenever.

Silvan, you just let me know when and where to show up.

How far is Virginia Tech from Cleveland, anyway?

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Phil Crow asks:

How far is Cleveland from Parkersburg, WV? P'burg is just about 3-1/2 hours to Blacksburg.

Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

How about CT? I was in Norfolk about 8 weeks ago. How far from Norfolk? All I need is a place for my 8' square tent, a shower, and a bathroom.

I can also see 15 'wreck boys and girls arguing on the right way to cut the joint and which CMS is within .000001 of square. <G>

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Nothing to argue. It is either square of it is not. .000001 out is NOT ;) Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think we should agree (ahead of time) that the construction effort should be limited to the shop building itself - and specifically exclude planters of any kind (especially planters with more than four sides :-)

Might speed things up if we have a couple of compressors with multi-coupling manifolds. A nail gun per wall could speed things up considerably...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Reply to
Bernie Hunt