Re: Comcast, Giganews, and Outlook Express...anyone?

I'm using the same setup just fine.
Here's a probable stupid question, but when you created the news account in Outlook Express, did you check the box 'This server requires me to log in' and also check the box to remember the settings/password?

Mine works just fine with Netscape 7.1 too. No problems in Albuquerque.
Is it Giganews thats asking for the ID/Pwd or Comcast? Comcast will ask periodically, regardless of if you're doing email on Comcast or news on Giganews until it decided it knows who you are - ESPECIALLY when you are a new customer. When I first signed up w/ Comcast it did it over and over and I reentered it and checked it to have password manager(?) remember it on the window where you enter the ID/Pwd. My PC farted a few days ago (the trusty virus others got) and it hosed my connections so I had to rebuild them. I made note while rebuilding of Comcast saying it would periodically ask for this info.
Timothy Drouillard wrote:

Are you saying your system is usually connected to your work LAN and to Comcast at the same time?
If so, how are you physically attaching to your LAN and to Comcast?
watch out for IP address conflicts between the two.

in
in'

The Comcast thing was a bit of a red herring, mostly. I only mentioned them to say who my service provider is...having said that, I can connect to Comcast from home, and then VPN into the LAN here. Both use dynamically assigned IP addresses, and actually the VPN doesn't "reassign" the address, so I'm AOK.
Now, here are the rest of the letters of the alphabet that I didn't already capitalize: DEFGHJKMQRSTUWXYZ. There. Now they're ALL covered. (C:
Jim
In spewed forth and said:

Go to "Tools"-----"Accounts" click on the account you want to use, then "Properties" tab to "Server" make sure the box is checked for "this server requires me to logon" enter username and password and check "remember password".
hth

If you have comcast, why would you pay extra to access giganews. Comcast has their own news server.
David Patnaude wrote:

Maybe yours does but mine does not (Albuquerque), although they do have some deal worked out with GigaNews for a free account with monthly limits which is what I do. No problem with text stuff but binaries can quickly throw you over the limit.

Interesting. I just took a look at my comcast account page and it is now showing a signup option for giganews rather then the old news server address and usage info. My original service was through AT&T broadband in Massachusetts and was recently taken over by comcast.I hope they are not phasing out the news server that have been using for the past 3 years. All the usual groups and no limits.
Dave
I'm in a suburb of Detroit Mi, and my broadband account started as ATT some years ago, then it got bought by Comcast.
For the first year or two, Comcast did indeed have their own news server with unlimited access.
A year or two ago however, more changes were made, and they converted to giving us accounts on GigaNews news servers. We get the first 1 gigabyte of news each month for free.
We have the option of paying extra to increase our GigaNews limit if we want.
So far I have only hit the 1 gig/month limit once so far.

Yep, I monitor/lurk in ABPF and ABPW.
GigaNews has a web site that allows you to see just how much you've downloaded so far, and it pretty darn accurate and current within the last 5 min at any one time. They will also send you an automatic E-Mail notice when you've hit 80% of your monthly limit.

some
of