Re: Band saw hop up!

I have had oppertunities to pick up a few motors over the years. Mostly from doing service work for the companies I work for. I don't bother with anything under 1 HP anymore, got more than I will ever use! Passed up a couple of 25 HP motors the other day, we just tossed them in the dumpster!
I have two Variable frequency Drives too, but the darn things are 480 volt, one 5 HP, one 10 HP rated. Greg

I figurd that too, but bought a 1/2" blade and tried it, works fine with the "heavily modified" saw! Greg

You are probably right! It has a cast aluminum frame, and plastic blade cover, at least it has a cast iron table. It really suprised me for the $25 I spent for it it has been a good saw! Greg
On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:37:35 -0800, GTO69RA4 bought forth from the murky depths:

Davey Ironmonger: I nominate this for inclusion in the FAQ!
--- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE --------------------------------------------------------------- - http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development -

Actually using a thinner is sometimes better than using a thicker blade. A thinner blade will flex backwards through a thick cut before it will bend sideways...a thicker blade will tend to bend sideways before ever flexing backwards.
Using thick blades is not a problem with bigger BSs as they have more robust tensioning mechanisms and the bigger motors can power through cuts. Using thicker blades with smaller BSs that have under powered motors tend to cause bowing when resawing. The smaller motor can not handle the cut and psychologically one tends to feed the stock too quickly causing bowing. Feeding the stock slower or using a thinner blade can alleviate bowing. In fact, on a 14" BS a 3 tpi 1/2" blade is about right for resawing.
Layne