quiet 1/4 sheet?

My 1/4 sheet sander is screaming at a unreal rate of speed and is ear ringing loud. Anyone have knowledge of a "quiet" machine in the 50.00 range?
BErney1014 wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=H4979
<g> And it's only $20! -- Mark
BErney1014 wrote...

You're looking in the wrong aisle. What you need is called a card or cabinet scraper. (G) Better finish, much quieter, and under $10.
Cheers!
Jim

That is so true. Choose between (a) wearing earmuffs to block out the noise of the screaming machine, getting dust in your eyes, up your nose, all over your clothing and *everywhere* else, and cleaning up by vacuuming your entire shop, or (b) hearing the gentle "shhhhhhhhhhk... shhhhhhhk" of the scraper with Beethoven or Mozart in the background on the shop stereo, and getting a pile of soft feathery shavings that you clean up with a broom and dustpan.
Not a difficult choice as far as I'm concerned.
BTW, Jim, you forgot to mention that a scraper is also faster, and cheaper to operate.
Doug Miller wrote...

Not to mention the fact that it can give you Popeye's forearms, if you want 'em. Huk-uk-uk-uk-uk!
Cheers!
Jim

Sadly though, I have the wrists of Quentin Crisp, and so I'm stuck with the #80 8-(
I'm using my second Makita. Donated first to painter when bearings needed replacement.
On 21 Oct 2003 13:42:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BErney1014) wrote:

On 21 Oct 2003 13:42:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BErney1014) wrote:

I use ear protection. It silences everything...machines, sanders, and screaming SWMBOs.

Sound deadening came with my senior citizen's card! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
On 21 Oct 2003 13:42:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BErney1014) wrote:

my pc speedbloc is quiet. but it is about 80.00 but it has the least transmitted vibration of any sander.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes